yamaha steering cables

Dave u

Cadet
I'm replacing my cable steering with A Teleflex 4200 hudraulic steering on my 16ft canter console with a 1992 90 hp yamaha 2 stroke. Where and how do I begin to disconnect the cable system? I don't want to reuse anything but the steering wheel. Thanks, Dave

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: yamaha steering cables

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Start by removing the link that connects the steering cable end to the motor. You won't be needing it anymore. Then loosen the large nut that anchors the cable to the tilt tube on the motor. If you have the room, pull the cable out. You probably won't, so cut it if that's easier.<br /><br />To remove the steering wheel, loosen the nut until it is flush with the end of the arbor. Place your knees behind the steering wheel and apply pressure on it. Grab the top of the wheel with one hand and pull towards you and give the nut a rap with a hammer. That should get the stering wheel off.<br /><br />Remove the cable from the helm and remove the helm. Cut all the ties holding wires, etc. to the cable. Before pulling the cable out, attach 2 ropes so that you'll be able to pull the hoses thru with them. Then pull out the cable and you're ready to install the new system.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

can I ask why the expense of hydraulic steering on a 90 ?

Dave u

Cadet

The preveious owner put on a jackplate and the steering cable was so tight you couldn't turn the wheel without a lot of effort. At the suggestion of several people I talked to said as long as you have to change you steering go hudraulic. I know the expense is greater but with the jackplate, tilt and trim I feel that the extra slack in the hydraulic tubes would be better than the slack and strain in the cable.<br />While we are talking hydraulic steering what do you think of the "plactic tubing", and what would substitute if you had the chance?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have mixed feelings on that plastic tubing, but so far it seems to work well. be very careful with a jackplate to look for steering cylinder interference. some have a bit of problmes when lowering the plate.

Dave u

Cadet

Thanks for all the info. I noticed in the instructions that the compresson fitting on the H4645 cylinder calls for a bend in the tubing that takes up a fair amount of room in the splashwell. Can the fittings be turned 180 to eleminate the bend if some slack is left in the lenght of the tubing?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

teleflex reccomends if the fittings need to be removed that the unit be sent back. I remove the fittings and carefully clean all the threads and reinstall with loctite hydrualic line lock. someplace in the instructions are the fitting removal warnings.

Dave u

Cadet

I e-mailed Teleflex on changing the direction of the tee fittings, I'll let you know what thay have to say.

Dave u

Cadet

Teleflex says that you have to clean the threads of the tee fitting and apply a teflon based pipe dope to the threads. Loctite should work also because this is what they recommend for the helm fittings. The hardest part of the installation was the removal of all the old steering. That took about two hours, mostly because of the cramped conditions under the center console. Putting the new systen in was a breeze. The whole deal took about four hours with two of us working on it.