ProV 150 lower unit rudder ?? speedo port issue too

sonoramike

Seaman Apprentice
on the lower unit there is a small rudder flap that looks to be adjustable and probably has something to do with the steering. not sure what its for or how to adjust it (or even what its called). right now its set all the way to the drivers side, how do I realign it and what sort of effect should it have? I've tried moving it by hand but it won't budge, didn't see a jam nut anywhere for it so I'm stumped.<br /><br />And the tiny little port in the lower unit for the speedo, its blocked up and I'm only able to get a small piece of wire into the hole about 1/4" or so, how far back does the port go before it turns upward? thinking that working a small drill bit by hand in the hole would help clean it up, but don't want to cause damage...<br /><br />any help greatly appreciated

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: ProV 150 lower unit rudder ?? speedo port issue too

the trim tab is just that, its not only a sacreficial anode its aids in offsetting steering torque.<br /> a small drill bit in my fingers is how I clear the pitot tubes.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

goes in an inch or so then 90* up. if you see aluminium chips quit drilling horizontally and take off the lower and start drilling vertically. usually its a piece of stick or somethinmg. the tube is replacable on the leading edge.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The trim tab helps to overcme prop torque. While running in a straight line on a plane on smooth water, let go of the steering wheel. If the boat drifts to the left, adjust the trim tab a little further to the left. The bolt is accessible under the rubber plug right above the trim tab.<br /><br />Always have had problems keeping the speedo pick-up on the motor clear. Much easier to install a seperate pitot tube and run your existing speedo line to it.