Yamaha 85HP Trim and Tilt Mechanism

DINFISHER

Recruit
I have an 85HP 2 stroke Yamaha outboard and recently the trim and tilt (up and down) hydraulic system is very temperamental and it is now stuck up. Some days it works and others not. I assume the hydraulics are powered by an electric motor driving fluid throuh the cylinder but do not know if Yamaha use sealed system or if one can top up hydraulic fuid by undoing some nut. Please help. Can one use car brake fluid for this if one is able to top up the fluid as I am in a remore area and have no access to supplies. If there is a nut to undo please explain where it is located and how I can solve my problem. No one in the Yanaha agency spealks good enough English in Thailand to explain this to me. Cheers David Fisher

Fully_Loaded1

Seaman
Re: Yamaha 85HP Trim and Tilt Mechanism

Chances are if it is stuck up then it is not a low fluid problem. There is a nut that you can remove to top off the fluid. It should be on the resvoir on the right side of the unit. (about a 5/8 nut) Watch you hands though the motor might fall if it is air locked when you loosen this nut. It sounds to me like your switch might not be throwing the soleinoid. Or the electric motor itself might be bad. I would check to see if it is the switch first that is the easiest and cheapest to start with. Lets us know after you try checking the fluid and testing the switch and solenoids.

Jammu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Yamaha 85HP Trim and Tilt Mechanism

Don't use brake fluid !!<br />You must use ATF in the trim unit.