yamaha 200HPDI water pump

ssp996

Cadet
I am having my 200hpdi serviced today (annual maintenance) and the yamaha dealer reccomended to have the water pump replaced. They said it needs to be replaced every 200hrs or 2 years. My engine is an '02 model bought in summer of '01 and it has 140hrs. No overheating problems ever noticed. I checked my engine's owner's manual and there is no mention of the water pump needing any kind of servicing and especially a replacement at 200 hrs. The manual only mentions cooling passages to be cleaned.<br /><br />What gives?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 200HPDI water pump

re read the service literature<br /> actually pump inspection/replacement is an annual OR 200 hours whichever OCCURS FIRST.<br /> what ya wanna wait till it over heats pops a head gasket or a piston to replace the pump? when it fails it may be a "sudden" failure. and its been my experience that the price of the pump and installation does not change regardless of pistons and machine work. have the replace the tstats and pressure valve grommet as well.<br /> low hour old motors are invariably neglected almost 100%. rubber parts go bad, seals fail, fikters varnish up regardless of use.<br /> goes back to what I said on another post. to many people cant read directions and comprehend what they just read.<br /> or your dealer is just trying to rip off yet another customer.

ssp996

Cadet

Hey dude, calm down. I don't have a service literature or shop manual or anything like that. If you read my post again you may notice that I clearly stated that my limited information comes from what I do have, the OWNER'S MANUAL that came with the engine and in page 4-10 there is no mention of replacing the water pump in their maintenance chart. That's why I came to this forum to become more informed and I appreciate your input. What you say about the pump makes sense but it is not in my maintenance chart. Its very likely that this info is readily available to dealers and perhaps people like you who follow this industry very well. I just would like to be sure.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it should be in the little chart in the maint section <br /> if you wish to track your own maint ill see if I can scan a page.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have it scaned I just dont know how to post it. I can email it to ya

ssp996

Cadet

That would be great. BTW, there is no mention of the water pump in the maint section (4-10) of the owner's manual. I am sure it is a very generic chart but a big ticket item like a "replace pump at 200 hrs or else risk screwing up your engine" should be in the chart. Other big ticket items are clearly shown: ex. high pressure fuel pump drive belt and oil. The water pump is just as important.

tybursks

Cadet

Hi all , I just replaced the water pump on my 2003 200hp hpdi and it wasn't that hard to do , I did have a problem with getting the ss retainer cup and plastic compression ring off above the impeller , I used a dremel to cut it ( I was wondering that there must be another way to to remove them , appriciate any help from those with more knowledge) the other problem I had was when I put the lower unit back on not checking that the prop turned freely before bolting it up had to remove the bolts and adjust the shift gear . thanks please respond about the retainer cup and plastic compression ring