New Prop

duckslayingpro

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking into buying a new prop for my Nissan 25 hp. i believe in the aluminum prop I would want a 9 7/8" X 10... But I am wanting to buy a stainless steel prop and the only ones I can find (in my price range anways) is these two sizes here 10" X 13 or 10" X 15. Which should I go with. Here is the size of the boat and uses... The boat is a 1440 Modified V with the 25 hp Nissan. This is tiller steer. This boat normally has 2 people in it weighing about 200 lbs apeice, 7 dozen duck decoys, guns, gear, and a 60 lbs labrador retriever. This boat is mainly used for duck hunting but also fishing so it doesn't always have the gear in it. But which prop would I be best to go with to have the optimum performance? Thanks, for all the information. Also how much gain in performance would the stainless steel prop be?<br />duckslayingpro :)

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: New Prop

I don't think you want to make that big of step in pitch if the aluminum size you list has good performance.<br />You'll end-up lugging and eventually killing your engine that way...<br />Do you know what your max RPM is with the current prop???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And why do you want to buy stainless??<br /><br />It will give you much poorer performance if it is not pitched correctly.

duckslayingpro

Seaman Apprentice

i am not really forsure what pitch or size my prop is right now... i have pretty decent performance with the prop on it right now... but i also use this motor on a rocky river and the rocks just eat an aluminum prop to death... so i need a stainless steel prop... but i also need to know what i need. in the pitch and everything if you guys have any suggestions or anything and i would greatly appreciate the information... i dont know anything about the prop on it because i bought this boat and motor a week ago.

1981Baja

Cadet

If you are hitting rocks why would you want a SS prop? I would rather replace an aluminum prop than a lower unit

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

1981baja makes a good point. since a ss prop is about 5 times stronger than a regular aluminum prop, it will be MUCH less likely to "give" or break off a peice of a blade when it hits something thus putting a TON more stress on your lower unit and prop shaft.

walleyehed

Admiral

School is in session.....SS props do not put anymore stress on a lower unit than aluminum...the rubber compound in a stainless prop is slightly more flexible than that which is used in aluminum...If a major blade strike occures, the hub will slip....I've proven this theory many times and didn't have to replace a prop either.<br />If large boulder-type rocks are an issue, a jet-drive outboard MUST be used. It's impracticle to have a prop-drive if in this rock area most of the time.