small current drain with engine off

skiwake130

Cadet
Yamaha BETO 130Hp 2001<br />I replaced the battery and whilst the cables were disconnected, I decided to check for any parasitic current drain. The engine was drawing 9 - 9.5mA as a rythmic constant pulse between 9 and 9.5mA.<br /><br />Is this normal and should I disconnect the battery lead to prevent battery drain?<br /><br />David

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: small current drain with engine off

was the boat in the water? try disconnecting the main harness plug, located in the lower cowl, starboard side. do the test again. does your boat have a set of digital yamaha guages?<br />boats should have battery switches.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If your boat has an AM/FM Stereo with electronic tuning and a built in clock, the clock and station memory draw power constantly. Not much, but certainly in the range you mentioned.

skiwake130

Cadet

The boats is on the trailer in the yard. Yes it has the didital gauges. No other equipment such as radio fitted.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the digital speedo and the fuel management both have memory circuits and some regulators will have a reverse current through the diodes. thats why we always reccomend a battery switch and ditch any "computerized" bilge pumps. they drain as well even when they are not cycling.