Correct Position of Cavitation Plate

Oysterr51

Cadet
Hi again,<br />Today I noticed that my new Double Eagle with my /93 65HP Johnson has perhaps some motor mounting problems.<br /><br />On the old Fiberform boat, the motor sat right on the transom, and now the motor sits about 3/4 of an inch above the transom. There is one hole left to use. The distance from top of transom to bottom of keel is now about 1/2 inch longer than on the Fiberform.<br /><br />The position of the cavitation plate is now about 3/4 of an inch above the keel. Should it not be even with the keel or even just below, or am I OK with the way it is mounted now?<br /><br />thanks again for your help<br />Mike

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Correct Position of Cavitation Plate

Many boat/engine/prop combinations perform best with the ANTI-VENTILATION-PLATE one or two inches higher than the keel, Mike. It is a fine tuning question that is different for each boat/engine/prop package.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Correct Position of Cavitation Plate

Mike, For the most part sounds like your engine is ok as is. What I know for sure is that every boat is different and some adjustment may be needed but comparing one set up to another is not necessary a true indication of what’s correct and what’s not. Take it out and try it. Make your changes from there, raise or lower a hole or 2 and see if it improves your speed or planning stability. Good luck.