Battery question

kywildcat

Seaman
The bowrider I just bought has what looks like a sealed rebuilt car battery. It has charged up and load tested fine, but I was wondering if I need a regular marine or deep cycle type. The boat is powered by a 3.0 Merc inboard, with no addional drains on the battery such as a trolling motor or juiced up stereo. The former owner told me he had replaced it once before with the same type but it only lasted a couple of weeks. The battery shop replaced it under warranty but with the next biggest size. Could this cause any problems? Thanks in advance.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Battery question

You want a marine starting battery. A Regular Duty is adequate, but I always advise to bump-up one size. So I'd suggest a Heavy Duty Marine Starting battery. Besides the post configuration, marine batteries have thicker lead plates to prevent breakage from crashing over the waves. Batteries take quite a beating in a boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery question

The label on the battery you want will say "Marine Starting". Do not buy one labeled "Dual Purpose" or "Marine Starting/Deep Cycle". These are ok but they are not good at doing both jobs well. Buy the largest capacity battery your budget allows and that there is space for on the boat. You can't have too much capacity!