battery charging question

whogotz

Seaman Apprentice
The battery would not start the engine last week. Got it home and only registered 11.4 on my voltmeter.<br />I had it tested today, result was that the battery was good but needed to be recharged.<br />Topped off with distilled water, checked voltage it read 12.8.<br />Put it on the charger anyway because I didn't trust that reading. Less than hour on the charger and both the charger and my voltmeter read 13.4.<br />Am I good to go?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: battery charging question

I think 11.4 volts should've started it, so maybe this was something else?

whogotz

Seaman Apprentice

dont think so because i switched to my deep cycle to get me started and it was no problem

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I'm with QC,,,,11.4 should have started it, unless there was/is a bad/interupted connection.<br /><br />My battery voltage alarms are set at 11.0 volts. Even at 11.0 volts my engines will start with no problem.

Bondo

Staff member

A Voltmeter Really Isn't a good way to Test the condition of a Battery,........ It only registers the surface charge......<br /><br />You Really need to Load Test it, which is the Best Way,.......<br /><br />A Hygrometer Test is a 2nd Best, 2nd Choice........<br /><br />Load Testing is the Most Accurate..........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Bondo said.<br /><br />Few of us have the facilities for a thorough load test, but a hygrometer is cheap and easy to use.

whogotz

Seaman Apprentice

I should have done the hygrometer, will try it tonight. I just checked with the auto parts store that did the test it was a full load test that they ran.

Dunaruna

Admiral

In what way do you utilise a hygrometer for battery testing?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> In what way do you utilise a hygrometer for battery testing?
The hygrometer checks for humidity/water in the battery. :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

So that would mean that a hydrometer tests for contaminated brake fluid, right?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

naaaa,,,,,thats what water is for. <br /><br />The hydrometer test for specific gravity of liquids. Commonly used for battery testing. :eek: