Does this sound like a good deal?

BigAir

Recruit
I am looking for some advice on a boat I am thinking about buying. I am just getting into boating and know very little, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have already learned a lot from the posts on this forum. The boat I am looking at is a 1995 Maxum 1800 SR. It has a 4.3L V6 with 190 hp, wake board tower (a cheaper fold down one), and CD stereo. The current owner has had it for two years and reupholstered the seats in the bow and replaced the carpet due to lack of care from the previous owner. It has been stored inside for the last two years, but before that was stored outside. The rear seats have some minor cracking from being outside. The hull shows normal wear and tear, along with some fading. The motor is very clean, fired right up and sounds good. A seal between the motor and drive started leaking last year, so the motor was pulled and the leaking seal was replaced along with several other seals and bearings that were easy to replace while the motor was out. The guy is asking $6400 for it. Does that sound like a fair price? I plan to use it exclusively for wake boarding, tubing, and skiing. It is the size and price I am looking for. Is a Maxum 1800 SR a good boat? Thanks for any replies.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Does this sound like a good deal?

A Maxim is a pretty darn good boat and nice looking too!!I would recommend having a pro check the motor and drive.It will be the best $100-200 you will ever spend.Sounds like the motor has had some hard years but I could be wrong.By the way,welcome to iboats..Charlie

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and replaced the carpet due to lack of care from the previous owner. It has been stored inside for the last two years, but before that was stored outside.
Was the boat strored outside and perhaps got water in it? I would check for signs of rot and soaked foam. Just a thought.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

if it good shape, the price is about right. nada lists it at 6900.<br />javsam

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by crazy charlie:<br /> A Maxim is a pretty darn good boat and nice looking too!!I would recommend having a pro check the motor and drive.It will be the best $100-200 you will ever spend.Sounds like the motor has had some hard years but I could be wrong.By the way,welcome to iboats..Charlie
Read crazy charlie's post again. And again. And again. And again.....<br /><br />Its some of the best advice you will ever get in the boating world.<br /><br />There are very, very, very, few parts on a boat that can be replaced for under $200.<br /><br />There are many, many, many parts that can be replaced for over $800.<br /><br />And welcome to iboats and boating!