Falling overboard

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a nagging question hope this is the correct place to ask. I fish by myself and use a 19 foot Sea Ray and my question is this. What can I do if I'm by myself and fall overboard while trolling. I am not getting any younger and I can see this happening while fighting a fish and a rouge wave hits the boat and over I go. The boat is putting along and I'm treading water. I do wear a flotation device, but I sure couldn't catch the boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Falling overboard

Your safety kill switch lanyard will stop the boat the moment you leave. That is, of course, if you wear it, which I recommend.<br /><br />You could also wear an EPIRB transmitter that will summon help right away.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A lanyard is what you need.It is a safety switch that is connected to a coiled plastic wire that attaches to you and a safety switch on the dash.When you fall overboard or stray too far from the controls the clip trips the switch and the motor shuts off.Now you have to worry about getting back into the boat.Swim platforn WITH a fold down ladder is absolutely necessary to get back in.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang, that was close, Charlie! :)

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Hows about, dare I say, a good pfd to go along with the kill switch on a string and ladder. ;)

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

There's not much more good advice a person can add here..<br />I just had to stop in and say "Thanks for the mental image".<br /> I can just see all that happenning and the boat not "missing a beat"...lol.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have an EPIRB a cell phone in a ziplock bag helps. Enter your local USCG # to speed dial prior to departure. It can be dialed without opening the bag prior . Also drop a dockline over the side, It may seem werid but the difference between getting back to your boat or not. I've fished some pretty bad weather alone and have even gone as far as tying my self off to contend with the lines for a spell.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

But what if he fell overboard because of a fish he was playing and now he's in the water and the fish is still pulling.....oh me oh my. The things we get ourselves into. Grin.<br /><br />I like the lanyard and the PFD.<br /><br />Mark

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice. My fishing boat is a I/O and it doesn't have a kill switch on it lke my small outboard duck boat. These work great if your near the outboard where the switch is but how about when your in the stearn playing a fish 20 feet from the controls?

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could add a kill switch at any location you want. There are also radio-operated kill switches which turn off the motor when they hit the water, no wires.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would suggest that you find yourself a fishing buddy. Surely there's someone who would jump at the chance to go fishing! (maybe a young person who you could introduce to the joys of fishing) :)