Smart Tab Help

mulliganmagic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a big problem today when installing my smart tabs. I sealed it with the sealent foam tape and 3M 4200. The instructions said to drill 1/8" pilot holes and I think I may have misread it. However, that's what I did and when I tightened the first screw it seemd a little tight. So, I switched from a phillips screw driver to a 1/4" ratchet with a phillips bit. I began to become worried and removed all of the screws except for the last one which actually broke upon removing it. I tried to use vice grips and channel locks and even tried to drill the screw out, but that hardened steel simply will not budge. I think or at least hope that it is sealed, but I worry that it might not be. So I now come to the point of installing the smart tabs. What can I do? Any help is appriciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smart Tab Help

There is usually a little sealant tape left over, put some over the screw stub. Before installing the tab, drill another hold next to the one that broke off. It may take a drill press to do it. Any machine shop in town or maybe even a buddy has one. Always use the right tools for the job. Don't know what you misread, but its possible you drilled into a cast aluminum or double thickness of aluminum. Dip the screw threads in oil (don't soak them, or use a bit of dish soap. Will help with installation. Those are stainless steel screws and are available at your hardware or home store.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

One more thought. If you haven't drilled all the holes for that tab, just move it over a bit.

mulliganmagic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I double checked and it did say to use 1/8" pilot holes so I did that correctly. However I have two concerns. One is that the screw that broke off is sealed or not. Then I do have a drill press, but if i drill a hole in the hinge it could possibly void my warrenty. I might call the company tomorrow and talk to someone. Any thoughts are still appriciated though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Try this: Use a grinder (like a Dremel tool) to grind the screw flush. Then use a small pin punch to physically drive the screw through the hull. This obviously makes the hole a little bigger than the supplied screws were intended for but you can use the next size larger stainless screw. This should work unless the screw is engaging a stringer or something more substantial than just the skin and wood in the transom.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Call me at 800-233-0194 before you do anything. The problem is not as big as you think. The hull is fiberglass ( suspect) and the drilled hole is a tad too small. Fiberglass does not give like wood or even aluminum. Forcing the screw into the hole was your only mistake. The drill was cutting undersize. Just run the drill into the holee a few extra times to onpen it up.<br /><br />Anyway - Call me and I will help.