Swim Platform

Hey guys and gals-<br />I would like to build a full length swim platform to replace the factory step currently on my 20 ft bowrider. I'm considering using a man-made decking material - brand name Veranda. It is "genuine wood fiber in a resin base." Just by handling the material it definately has more flex than any real hardwood, but it's supposed to last like forever. <br />I'm going to take this on myself, but I'm no Bob Villa, just ask my wife, so any advice on this possible material or the project in whole would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Matt

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Swim Platform

You might want to also post this question in the boatbuilding forum. <br /><br />I guess the answer is that "it depends". How will the platform be secured to the boat? If it will be mounted on some brackets, that it will probably be ok. If it needs to be integrated into the hull, then I think you will be better off with quality wood protected by epoxy.<br /><br />Another consideration is weight. The similar sounding stuff that I used on my deck was very heavy. Boats can be finicky about weight. Particularly if the added weight is at the extreme ends of the boat. <br /><br />I prefer to use Meranti decking boards. Meranti is in the mahogony family and these boards are often sold as mahogony decking. If it is about $1 or less per linear foot it is Meranti. It is good wood. It glues well, looks good when finished bright (epoxy coated then varnish) and is very durable.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Nix the fake decking .Too heavy,too flexible,too slippery.Quality wood or fiberglass over plywood.You can get a beautiful results from many types of woods.Do a search because I am sure some here have done it already.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

One thought. If you can thru bolt via the transom, you might use some SS right angle brackets and fabricate a swim platform out of Redwood 1x2 stringers on end (2" high, 1" wide), spaced one board apart.<br /><br />Redwood is light, strong, shock absorbant, and relatively inexpensive considering other alternatives, and obviously marine tolerant... and with spaces between boards, you have a perfectly drained platform. Just use heavier duty members for the perimeter' like 1x4 or 1x6. Screw together with ss marine screws or ss bolts. <br /><br />A good combination would be a 1x6 perimeter with the 1x2's running fore and aft. On the 1x6 stretching across the beam, add another piece of 1x2 attached to the 1x6 but 1 1/2" below the top of the 1x6. Set the fore-aft 1x2's on the "ledge" and bolt in.<br /><br />You could do that job for a couple hundred dollars and I'd bet it wouldn't weigh 50#.<br /><br />I'd do it in a heartbeat.<br /><br />Mark

Thanks for the repies All. The flex and weight of the sinethetic material was definately on my mind. Thanks for confirming my concerns.<br /><br />Mark - Thanks for the input on construction plans - along the same lines of what i was thinking. My plan was to use the right angle ss brackets and triangulated SS support brackets for mounting. Probably overkill by the specs, but I find you can't build anything strong enough with three sons. :D <br /> I hadn't considered redwood due to the AZ climate - I've seen redwood playground sets turn to dust in a matter of a couple of years here. How would you seal that for marine use - I do garage store her.<br /><br />Off to my local big box.<br />New project = New tools :D :D <br /><br />Thanks again<br />Matt

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

AZMatt, I'm going to be building a swim platform as well, because I refuse to pay $600+ for a new one. I've looked around at alternative materials, and found this website: www.advantagelumber.com , which is a local supplier. Check out the Ipe (I-pay) wood section. It appears that this wood as pretty indesctructable. The price isn't bad for dimensional lumber either. As everyone says, weight is a concern, and I don't know what the weight on this stuff is. I wouldn't think it'd be all that much more than teak.<br /><br />Anyone else have any luck with any other kind of wood? How about mahogany, sealed with 2 part epoxy, and some non-skid material mixed in for the top? <br /><br />I can't see paying over $60.00 for a 1x4x5 piece of teak, when other alternatives could exist. Would rather spend my $$$ on other boating stuff, like GAS!!! <br /><br />Rick