Yamaha 70 HP Alarm

vicbear13

Recruit
I have a 1995? 70HP and have now experienced twice an alarm (piercing) coming from the throttle control. Once as I was running in my yard and another time on the water. Both times at idle, even the time on the water, I never went over 25 RPM. The second time on the water I shut it down for a few minutes, restarted, and and it went away as it was running. Can this be an overheat alarm? If so , is it an easy fix? I really dont want to pay $100/hr to have it checked out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 70 HP Alarm

It is an overheat alarm. It may be due to a stuck thermostat, bad water pump impeller, clogged water passages, blown head gasket, to name a few. If you dont' want professional help, you need a service manual.

SCO

Lieutenant

The idle scenario makes it sound like worn impeller that supplies adequate water at higher rpm. You need to change impellers every 10 years or so anyway!!. This is one case where I'd just change it out and see if it solves the problem without really knowing for sure.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would make that 2 years. Beats the hell out of cooking it.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would make that 2 years. Beats the hell out of cooking it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

nah just unplug the alarm and finnish running it till it dies. at least ya wont have to pay 100 bucks an hour for maint.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt sums it up beautifully. A well maintained motor will give years of reliable service. The price paid for professional service is really good value. Motors that are regularly serviced come apart easy for that service or parts replacement making subsequent servicing easy and cheaper. Safety and lives can be at stake when boating. The $100 an hour (if that much) much is money well spent. If you aint got it perhaps you shouldn't be there unless you are prepared and have the knowledge and skills to do it yourself.