engine dies past idle

paulvance

Recruit
1989 Yamaha 9.9 . I removed and cleaned carb . There were flakes in bowl and debris on main jet intrance .Thought I had it licked . Same thing . Starts fine , idles evan at fast idle fine . Put in gear and runs fine till I start to open it up and then dies . Pumping fuel ball does nothing . Pulled fuel pump and checked for diaphram leakage and checkvalve ops ok . Replaced fuel line with clear from fuel filter to carb so I could watch . There is always a 2 inch section filled with air at bottom of loop before carb intake . Haven't checked valve adjustment yet and plan to do compression check next . Flywheel seems hard to turn by hand with spark plugs removed , although I don't know how it should feel . My fear is the engine has been running too lean with partially plugged main jet and caused powerhead damage .Thanks in advance for suggestions .<br />Cap'n One Aye

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine dies past idle

do the carb again<br /> its still plugged most likly. they are touchy lil buggars. but the spark and compression test are always done first. only then can you isolate the problem.

paulvance

Recruit

Thanks rof the reply Rodbolt . I will pull the carb again . I just did the comp. check .<br />both cylinders were 97psi cold , 87psi warm , at least as warm as you can get an engin at idle for 5 min. The manual says 114psi is min. for this engine . Should I worry ?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

never seen a spec on it but what your looking for is they are about equal within a 10 psi range. will it accelerate if you play with the choke while throttling up ?

paulvance

Recruit

Rod bolt , I pulled the carb again and found I had installed the main nozzel cut out facing the funnel instead of the intake manifold . Would this cause my problem ? <br />Thanks ,<br />Cap'n One Aye

paulvance

Recruit

You were right Rodbolt .I didn't clean the pilot jet the first time because it was hidden under a plug . Run's fine now .<br />Thanks !<br />Cap'n One Aye