Oil NOt Being Drawn from Main Tank

lawtyger

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br /> Looking for some suggestions or solutions since I'm not mechanically inclined. We have a 2004 22ft Aquasport with a 2004 Yamaha SWS 200. The engine has stopped drawing oil from the main tank and is drawing from the smaller reserve tank on the engine. <br /><br /> It seems like this started to occur just after the main tank got low enough 2 weeks ago to set of the audible alarm and not allow the boat to run over 2000 rpm's. When we heard the alarm, we immediately stopped, noticed that the oil tank had oil in it but was defnintely low, fill it up, the alarm went off and we proceeded on with no problems. Last weekend, we were boating and the audible alarm went off again and I thought to myself that there was no way the main tank had gotten low and when I checked, it was filled right to where we had filled it. I pulled off the cowling and looked at the reserve tank by the engine and that had gotten below the fill line. Thus, we filled it up an proceeded on.<br /><br /> Could we have gotten air in the system somehow when we let the main tank run down to low a few weeks ago, which is not causing it not to pull from that tank? I tried the emergency pump switch on the back of the motor to force oil from the big tank to the small tank but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?<br /><br /> The good news is we are taking it in to have the dealer look at it since we are due for our 100 hour service anyway, but I'm just wondering if this is something I could fix myself if it ever occurred again, or at least get some idea what I should be looking for.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Chris

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil NOt Being Drawn from Main Tank

listen carefully to the boat tank when you hit the emergency switch(its a quiet pump so get the wife to give you a hand), if you can hear the pump running check you didnt kink the main line when you last filled the tank, also check the main harness didnt dislodge. if all is plugged in and the oil line isnt kinked you need the shop manual and a digital meter to test the system.<br /><br />its a low volume pump so check carefully for line obstructions.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

also check the oil filter in the remote tank. if you had the pickup screen out of the engine tank make sure your replaced the seal on the bottom of the screen. i reccomend always draining the engine tank before removing the screen to keep all the gunk from dropping directly into the pump and causing problems. there is a bass and wallye article on this site that is good for oil transfer. read it and understand how it works, right now its obivous your shooting in the dark from the hip. not good with that motor. the damage you can cause can be quite expensive and not covered by warrenty

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

That happed to me once the Yamy tech said that the hose had a kink in it and would not allow the oil to flow correctly the engine drew oil from the remote tank on the side.