Suzuki Idling Problems

derkkd

Recruit
I have a 75 suzuki that I can run at idling speed when I have the muffs on..no problems. When I take it out on the water cannot get it to idle...keeps stalling out. Tried this twice today same problem, will ide in the driveway with the muffs on..took it to the beach and could not get off the launch because it kept stalling out. Any thoughts?

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki Idling Problems

The fact that it idles in the driveway and not the water is merely an indication that your engine isn't running right. The lack of backpressure in the driveway allows a poorly running motor to continue to tick over.<br /><br />You need to narrow down the problem which may be minor and maybe not. Is this engine new to you or have you had previous experience with it? You may want to do a compression check. If you've fried a cylinder it will never idle right.<br /><br />Pull the spark plug leads one at a time (ground the pulled plug lead) and see which cylinders aren't pulling their load (bad cylinder has no effect when pulled).<br /><br />Buy an inexpensive spark tester at an autoparts store and check the spark on all cylinders. <br /><br />Squirt some premix into the cylinders one at a time and see if it picks up. If you have spark on a cylinder and the squirt helps then you most likely have a fuel issue with that cylinder such as a carb in need of a thorough internal cleaning and rebuild.<br /><br />In order to run in the water as opposed to the driveway, you need all cylinders firing normally, the idle mixture must be set to specs (on a clean carb) and the idle speed must be set to proper rpm (~800rpm I think) in the water in gear.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki Idling Problems

As jimd suggests 800rpm in the water. More like 1100rpm on the muffs. Unless you get that on the muffs it will be too slow in the water and stall.