Suzuki 85 hp ignition problem

domilex

Recruit
Runs unevenly, both in 5 or 20 knots. Missing ignition. Different electric parts exchanged, even the "electric box". Fuel parts exchanged. What to do?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki 85 hp ignition problem

Hi,<br />You need to tell the year also on Your Suzuki DT85.<br />Tell exactly what parts has been replaced (by You or by a Suzuki marine mechanic?).

domilex

Recruit

The Suzuki 85 hp is -96. Mechanic has replaced one cylinder coil as considered bad (no ignition on that cyl. at a time). Mechanic has also replaced "cooling ignition timing" and cleaned up carburettors under flywheel.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are going to have to go Svenska. ;)

bossee

Hi,<br />Yeh... :) but then almost no other person that reads this forum will understand what we are talking about... Not that many person in the world that can read Swedish I'm afraid. Sweden is a rather small country regarding inhabitants, almost 9 millions only.

bossee

domilex,<br />1996 DT85, well that is not an old outboard. Must get that running quick now I guess. You have vacation now? And want to use the boat/outboard during this period.<br /><br />So:<br />1. You have good spark on all sparkplugs - right?<br />and sparkplug cables not faulty?<br />2. You have correct and functional sparkplugs?<br />(Use only NKG BR8HS-10, gap 0.9-1.0 mm, for a DT85 1996)<br />3. Have the compression on all 3 cyl been tested?<br />About same psi (compression) on all cylinders?<br />4. Fuelpump OK? (the rubber diaphgram set)<br />5. Battery OK and connections tight and have proper contact at battery and at the outboard itself?<br />6. Have You gone over all electrical connections to make sure no bad contact somewhere?<br /><br />Is there any alarm going on when You try to run the outboard?<br /><br />Do You have access to an electrical scheme for Your DT85 1996? I can probably mail one to You if You think that will help You.<br /><br />I ask this since that is some of the basic things You must know is OK before trying anything else.<br /><br />If we assume 1-6 above is OK, then it can be many things that can be the cause to the problem Your outboard has today.<br /><br />In a trouble shooting table I have here, for missfire they suggest for example:<br /><br />Missfire at idle:<br />- Incorrect spark plug gap<br />- Defective, dirty or loose spark plugs<br />- Spark plugs of incorrect heat range<br />(- Cracked distributor cap)<br />- Leaking or broken high tension wires<br />- Weak magnets<br />- Defective coils or condenser<br />- Defective ignition switch<br />- Spark timing out of adjustment<br /><br />Missfires at high speed:<br />- Se above<br />- Coil breaks down (too high voltage, excessive heat, moisture)<br />- Coil shorts trough insulation<br />- Spark plug gap too wide<br />- To much spark advance<br /><br />Not sure if You can describe the problem with Your outboard as "rough operation", but if it is it can be like:<br />- Dirt or water in fuel<br />- Reed valve broken<br />- Float stuck<br />- Incorrect fuel level in carburator bowl<br />- Carburator loose at mounting point<br /><br />If carburator spit-back(?) and missfires at high speed it could be:<br />- Reed valve broken<br />- Dirty carburator<br />- Lean carburator adjustment<br />- Restriction in fuel system<br />- Low fuel pump pressure<br /><br />Do You have access to multimeter so You can test voltage and ohm?<br /><br />You can then perform tests on many components of electrical system.<br />I can maybe mail You some files that tell what and how to test.