hard starting after changing plugs....

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i changed the spark plugs on my 1999 115 yami.(non oil-injected). the new plugs were supposed to be less likely to interfere with radio frequencies. same number, just had an "r" in there (i believe). anyway, it started right up in the driveway with the muffs on. three days later i go to the lake and it wouldn't start. the motor turned over and battery was strong. it did eventually turn over ( after about 6 minutes of continuos atempts) and ran fine the rest of the day. started with no more probs. it has never taken that long to turn over with the other plugs, but the new ones came from a yamaha dealer and were in the application guide for my motor. so, what's up with that?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: hard starting after changing plugs....

You may want to go back to the original plugs. The R stands for resistor which may affect the ignition output. If the application guide was from the plug manufacturer those aren't always correct. On the other hand, you may just have had a bad-start day.

cpj

Ensign

k5,<br />Fillet and release? I like that. :D <br />Personally, I release mine into lake Crisco :D

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

I have never found any difference in the performance of either plug resistor or other wise except for keeping the RF out of electronics. Lack of fuel in the carbs is normally the cause of hard starting. Be sure the bulb is firm before attempting to start the first time that day.