1993 Yam 225 tilt lock lever

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My tilt lock lever is completely corroded and almost impossible to move - I bought all the parts necessary to replace it - is this going to be easy? It does look like the two ends of the lever are held together with some plastic (or some kind of non-metal) pieces that could be simply smashed with a chisel? I would not thing that pulling the pins out is going to be easy after 13 yrs in saltwater.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 Yam 225 tilt lock lever

as long as ya bout new plastic parts and the pin as well as new roll pins. also the plasic bushings for the shafts. its quite common on those motors

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I got all the parts from one side to the other. So I should just try pulling out the two roll pins first? If that fails, then I smash the plastic couplers which should give me more pin to grab. And if that fails then just break the pins off so there is enough clearance to pull each lever out. When I smash the coupler the larger knurled pin and the spring should come loose.<br /><br />Does this sound like a plan?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I would buy a small pin punch and drive the roll pins out if possible. may save time later. they usually pop right out. the rest sometimes can be a beast.