Water pump impeller question

CLL2437

Seaman Apprentice
I began to repair the water pump in my 90 and ran in to a snag. I read both my manuals but could not find the answer. I installed the impeller and found that it is much bigger than the insert cartridge. Am I suppose to squeeze the fins of the impeller to get it to fit? If so do the fins bend around clockwise or counter clockwise? While I’m at it, which way does the drive shaft turn when in gear? I was told to never turn the driveshaft in the wrong direction or the impeller will be damaged; is that correct?

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water pump impeller question

Look at the direction the fins on your old impeller are bent.<br />Put a thin film of grease inside the cup, and turn your driveshaft clockwise as you slide it down over the impeller.<br /><br />Good luck... Canuck 16.

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, Canuck is right, just the way your engine turns, you will need to turn the driveshaft while you push the pump body back over the impeller. Do not overtighten the bolts as the pump body is plastic and it will deform or crack.

aux1205

Cadet

So, as the shaft turns clockwise the impeller blades end up bent back facing counterclockwise.<br />Is this correct?

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may also try using the large plastic ties and start the fins then snip the tie.