Fuel pump change

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Rodbolt and Ray Nuedecker both told me to change my fuel pumps on my 1999 Yamaha SaltSeries 150FETO. They both agree that 3 years is time.<br />Here is the problem... I have a lot of faith in the guys on this board, but my Yamaha mechanic is telling me that 6 years in not too long and for that matter there is no time limit.<br /><br />My question.. should I find another mechanic?<br />Unfortunatelry I trust the advice her more than I do my mechanic.<br />Mind the fact that this repair shop is supposed to be one of the best in my area.<br />Should I just tell them to change them anyway?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel pump change

yes. its called preventative maintenance. wait for them to fail and get stranded or change them while they still work and not? no contest.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few years back I was at a local marine mechanics shop picking up a water pump for my 89 200 Yam, and I asked him if he thought I should start decarbing this motor. He looked at me with a smile on his face and said "We dont".<br />I left his shop puzzled why he smiled when he said that, then about half way home it hit me. This guy makes his living rebuilding motors!<br /><br />Cheers... Canuck 16.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its your choice<br /> however the price of the pump is the same with or without pistons and machine work.<br /> I too make my living repairing and rebuilding and repowering. however I am rather lazy and would rather maintain one than repair it.<br /> being lazy cuts into my profit margin.