99 Yamaha 150 hp will not pump water

ermess

Petty Officer 3rd Class
99 Yamaha will not pump water. Customer has had two water pumps installed in past 4 weeks. And now calls me. Has there been water pump part issues with Yamaha?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 Yamaha 150 hp will not pump water

nope. none ive heard of in the land of the beaver.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 98-99 pumps had poor impellers. but it was only for those two years, those impellers will have a white plastic hub. what are the impellers and housings looking like when he is done? also check the rubber dam just aft and under the pump plate. if corrosion lifts it slightly it will give the same symptoms. I remove the dam and the metal bracket for cleaning/inspection on every pump job. if he is usuing the flush port on the engine with the motor running it will rapidly trash the impeller. if the housing is melted in the least it can cause loss of water pressure. a pressure contol valve that is hung open will cause a total loss of water pressure as well. if the pocket has not been cleaned and the grommet replaced I would look there as well.

i_build

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if it will help ermess, but if you click on my posts rodbolt helped me through a whole string of pump issues on my 1990 200hp Yamaha. Pump is working great at this point.