Foul Weather Gear

EGalvTex

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy folks, its been awile.<br /><br />I moved to New York City from Houston 2 months ago. The wind, rain, and cold can make life a lot more miserable on Long Island Sound than on the Gulf Coast.<br />I need to get some decent foul weather gear, but I don't want to drop hundreds of bucks either (some of the stuff is $300+).<br />Any suggestions would be great. :D

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Foul Weather Gear

Almost all decent insulated outdoor wear that is wind and rain proof will take a few bills. What do you plan to do with the product? Is it just for casual outdoor use or fishing/boating/hunting? <br /><br />I would recommend something that has Gore-Tex or Omni-Tec by Columbia if you were going to be fishing, boating, or hunting. A good quality coat might cost a couple hundred but IMHO it is worth every penny. They also hold up well. I have a Columbia jacket that is probably 11 years old and is still water and wind proof and very warm.<br /><br />Fishing, boating, or hunting is not fun when your are cold and wet!

crab bait

Captain

i like a non gortex shell unlined an 'packable' .. somethin' from the H/H brand helly/hanson... a thin nylon type..<br /><br />i like no gortex.. cause it never really works for me .. it's not reliable.. in torrential rain it leaks.. and after a few or less years it leaks in a drizzel... but that just seams to be me.. but i had a few ,, and boots & gloves .. no good for me..<br /><br />a non-gore jacket must have a good vent in the back & under arms .. they never fail & keep ya dry & doesn't put you in the poorhouse..<br /><br /> don't want or need any insulation.. i buy jacket & pants big an i wear my own insulate to match the weather...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you want something a little different, try something made for motorcycling. These fit like real clothes - not like a big baggy slicker, and keep you dry even at 60 mph. They have one piece and 2 piece suits for $60 to $250. <br /><br />All the good ones have storm flaps, and velcro, and tie strings, and hoods, some have gloves.<br /><br />Personally I like the BMW suits, but Dry Rider and many others are good too. So stop at a bike dealer and see what's available. Good Luck.