Fishing Novice equipment question

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br />I'm going to start fishing with my son and I need a little help with equipment setup. We will be fishing off a boat. I was told that the lake near our home have bass (black bass?), release trout, and crappy. I like to introduce my son to all three type of fish. There are fa few questions:<br /><br />a. I just like to buy, one rod for all three type of fish. Is that possible. I'm 5'4, so how long of a rod should I get? What is the max weight capacity I should get?<br /><br />b. Any recomendation on reels? I think I like to spend in the mid range and what do I need to look for?<br /><br />c. I leave in central CA (Fresno) area. What is the typical season for these fish?<br /><br />Thanks.

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fishing Novice equipment question

If you and your son are new to fishing get a coulpe of Zebco 33's. These are simple to use and will handle most fish you are likely to catch. I started my son on these(spincast) type and then graduated him to open face spinners and then to baitcasters. I always keep several on hand for times when people that are with me are novices and need something simple. I like the new titanium 33's and match with 6' rods. Do not get Shakespear reels, they are trash, good rods but not good reels. Get Zebco's. I will use the 33;s on 6-7' ugly sticks with 8lb test line. Have caught many crappy, bream, bass and even strippers on them

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

nightvision, I hope you got a bow-mounted trolling motor for that searay. And a fishfinder - Eagle fishmark 320 or 480 or similar.<br /><br />The absolute best way to get started fishing is to go with somebody knows what they're doing. I highly recommend hiring a local guide for one trip.<br /><br />reels: 3 kinds - spincasting, spinning and baitcasting. <br /><br />Spin-casting is versatile & easy to use, the best choice for youngsters and beginners. It doesn't wind the line evenly on the spool, so eventually it'll tangle & hang up inside the reel, mostly a minor irritation but it'll happen at the worst possible time. And you can't see the spool so you won't know the condition of your line. Also they typically have low-speed gearing ratios. And don't cast as far as the others.<br /><br />Put it on a 5'6" medium-light rod. Probably 8lb test line. You don't say your son's age, but this is generally the best rig for youngsters and beginners. Something like a Zebco 33 combo.<br /><br />Here's a good discussion of spinning & baitcasting.<br /><br />good luck!<br /><br />[added later - hey baitkiller, I started typing & got distracted; my reference to zebco 33 was before I saw your post] :)

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got an "ugly stick" I use it for whatever will bit. Bass, Northern Pike, Crappy, Sunnies and other Pan fish. The best part is I can't break the damn thing. I have broken too many 20-30 dollar rods and finnaly bought the Ugly for about 50-60.

lewkster

Seaman

Depends on age of your son. When my son was 6 the cheaper model setup with no reverse if possible is nice, then they dont unwind making knots undoable by even the best. Lowers the frustration. A coffe can or small bucket with a few minniows and a bobber keeps them entertained when holding the rod gets boring. A rod holder is helpfull also. When I get a fish on and fishing is slow I hand the pole to him for excitement to reel em in. He has a zebco rod reel and also now 8 has an open face reel and rod (which surprises me he tangles less) He has his own little tackle box with a few things in it (nothing to sharp) I dont let him use big multi hook jigs as there dangerous when they come flying outta the water.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by baitkiller:<br /> Do not get Shakespear reels, they are trash, good rods but not good reels.
I've got two Shakespear open face reels and rods and they have worked great for me. One is 10+ years old. The other new, last year.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree. <br /><br />The Zebco 33 combo is excellent for starters, be they younguns or adults. The combos usually come with a 6' rod matched to the reel and loaded with 12-14lb mono line.