1998 Yamaha 150 - Slight Fuel Leak Starting

Jilah

Cadet
I recently purchased my first boat, Cobia 194 with a 1998 Yamaha 150 outboard. It’s a V6, premix, and is carbureted. I have never owned an outboard before so have very little knowledge of making repairs or spotting problems but am hoping to learn… <br /><br />The engine runs well but I often stall it out a few times initially trying to get it started when its cold, I attribute this mainly to being unfamiliar with the engine and probably not knowing the best routine for starting. Once it is warmed up it starts right up. Usually after initially trying to get it started (and having it stall out a few times) I notice a small amount of fuel (maybe a soda cap full or a bit more) has leaked into the bottom pan of the engine and then to the transom. Once its running it does not continue to leak. <br /><br />Is this unusual and would it indicate any particular kind of problem? One thing I should add is when initially starting the engine I have been leaving it partially trim’d up though down enough to have the prop and water intake in the water. I was told that this could cause the carbs to leak? Will try starting it next weekend with the engine fully down to see if it still leaks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Yamaha 150 - Slight Fuel Leak Starting

hello<br /> most likly your starting teqnique.<br /> trim the engine down to fully submerge the gearcase. advance the throttle some. if its a sidemount box that means lift the warm up lever, if its binnicle push the gear select release button and throttle it up. pump the primer bulb until its firm. turn the key to on. push in for choke or toggle the choke switch as applicable. then crank away. Ideally the engine should stat at 1800 to 2500 RPM. try to hold it between 1500 and 200 for a few seconds while bumping the choke if nessasary. if you allow it to cough and sneeze when cold it greatly increases the chances of a fuel pump diaphram failure<br />it will take some playing and attention paying but soon you will get the feel of how much throttle to apply to light it up at 15-1800 RPM everytime.