Has quality changed?

rschnack

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This should fill some of the space that has just been opened up. I am looking at replacing the transom on my 1969 Alumacraft Sea Aira 1700. Before I tear into this project, I want to know if it is worth the effort. I do like the boat but am concerned. My question is, has the quality of boats improved since the sixties or has quality slid in an effort to lower costs of production? I am not sure if my boat has balsa cores but it seems many from this time period did. When the term "balsa core" is mentioned, people that know about boats seem to cringe. Also, are newer fiberglass boats still made with polyester resin or epoxy?<br /> If there has been a change in quality, has it been gradual, or was it like the US Auto Industry where they had a bad period in the mid '70's where the vehicles were made cheaply and rusted away? Also, have the aluminum boats gotten better? I have heard that the hulls are better but the hardware is not as good as it used to be.<br /> Which tend to be better built and safer, new or old?<br /> Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Best regards,<br />RCS

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Has quality changed?

I have a 69 Glastron deckboat and I plan on replacing the transom in the future. They don't build boats like that anymore. All the new boats have fancy seats, carpet and other stuff to tear up. <br /><br />For my money, I 'd fix the old boat as long as the hull is solid.

crab bait

Captain

you ask good qestions,, RCS.. i can't answer them all .. but... yes i think quality has change for the better.. or i should say tecnology is better.. but if the boats are still made with wood & polyester resin then the ROT still lives on ..<br /><br />yes some manufactors are usin' epoxy but you pay $$$ ,dearly..<br /><br />yes ,, aluminum boats have come along long way.. an i think have been the most innovative of all..<br /><br />but still bottom line is money.. <br /><br />ya git whatya pay fer...

rschnack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AJP and Crab Bait,<br /><br /> Thanks for the replies. It looks like one vote old and one vote new. I will almost for sure repair this old boat but I may consider buying another a little bigger. My biggest concern is the trends in certain years. I know Bayliner had some bad years along with some other brands. Is there a time period where the boats seemed to be lacking in quality compared to other years? I would love a new boat but can't afford one. The boats in my price range all need work and the prices don't seem that different between decades for the same type of boats.<br /><br />Best regards, <br />RCS