Hey Rodbolt, whats the trick?

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replaced the impeller in my Yam 8hp 2stroke yesterday, and I tell ya, it took me close to two hours getting the leg back on.<br />I could singlehanded replace the leg on the 200hp, probablly half a dozen times in the time it took me to line that little bugger up!<br />If it was'nt the water tube not lining up, it was the driveshaft splines. If not the driveshaft, it was the shift shaft. It was like all the stars had to be lined up for it to go.<br />About 45min into this excursion, I figured I had her only to find the shift shaft boot had been pushed up into the midsection, and I knew I'd never be able to pull it back down with the shaft in place, so back off it came.<br />I did finally get it on, but I'm sure you guys that do this for a livin dont spend close to 2hrs on this task.<br />Any tips to try and keep the frustration level to a minumum next time I gota do this??<br />THX... Canuck 16.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hey Rodbolt, whats the trick?

hahahaah<br /> I hate tiny mites.<br />not many tricks other than patience and do a few.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Somewhere in japan , there's a little old lady knocking these things out at 50 an hour on an assy. line , you just gotta figure out how she does it.

DanMcK

Seaman

Cannuck: Here is a couple of tricks You could try.<br /><br />When reinstalling the lower unit, put it in gear, keep pressure on the prop so it stays in gear. If the spline wont go in turn the prop which will turn the drive shaft, it will go in.<br /><br />Here is another way. When you remove the lower unit don't turn the drive shaft. Make a heavy mark with a crayon down the drive shaft on to the water pump. After installing the impeller, turn the shaft to the marks. Works for Me.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

lube the gearshift shaft leave the knuckle loose. focus on keeping the mating surfaces parallel. gearbox in one hand, screw driver in the other to control the knuckle. still easy to turn the flywheel with the plugs out and a screwdriver in your hand.

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good idea on the scribe mark Dan, I'll use that next time. I was installing it in reverse, but noticed if I had to drop it back down even just a hair, the shift shaft gromet/boot would pull the LU into neutral.<br />Ben, I'm guessing the knuckle is the piece that connects the upper and lower shift shafts?<br /><br />And Rodbolt, good to see you had a chuckle at my dispair, but guess what pal... with any luck I wont be doing this again for a couple of years. I'll bet you'll be doing one within a couple of weeks! hahahaha...LOL.<br /><br />Thanks guys...Canuck 16.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaha ya got me.<br /> however my next few weeks will be spent in 3 28' carolina classic repowers and one 44 bertram.<br /> god I hate big boats but the money is nice.<br /> myself I usually keep the shifter in fwd and the unit in reverse while assembling. if ya do a few its easy to rotate the flywheel while installing the gear case. takes me about 30 min or so if the bolts come out. in my area now we dont see a lot of tiny mites. I did when in Norfolk VA. here on the outer banks most of what I get is V4 and up. with an excess of v6 with twins.<br /> but with any luck you wont have that one apart again for the next 3 years :) .

cpj

Ensign

I had problems on my 115 yam.It just would not go until I had a buddy holding the lower unit ready to push it in place while I moved the shifter from foward to reverse VERY SLOWLY to finally line up the splines on the shift shaft.Also try sicking out your tounge,crossing your eyes,hold your head to the side and talk real nice to the motor.If that doesnt work cuss the motor and threaten it with a big hammer!LOL!

Canuck 16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny, I was gona say 3yrs but figured you'd tear me a new a**hole for neglecting my water pump for that long.<br />Good luck with them repowers. Three beautifull boats. If it were me, I'd be taking each of them for "extensive" test runs, with my fishing tackle and a box of cold ones when complete :) !<br />cpj... I think I tried all the things you mentioned, and believe it was the threat of breaking out the big hammer that convinced it to go ;) .<br /><br />Cheers... Canuck 16.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

up there in the cold waters with the short seasons 3 years will most likly work on a tiny mite. just keep a close check on the lower unit oil for water.