Suzuki DT55 not shooting water out of the side hole

teenfix

Cadet
i just bought this boat and am trying to not have to change motors well i cleaned carbs and put a new water pump on. it still doesnt shoot water out of the hole on the side. the boat runs fine for about 1 mile maybe 2 and then boggs out almost like its over heating. i put all new fuel fittings on thinking that was it :confused: but it wasnt anyone who could help i would be very thankfull :D

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DT55 not shooting water out of the side hole

When you say "shoots" I assume you mean like poping the cork after a six pack :D . I think you have two problems here. What year is the motor. The tell tale is "T"d off just after the water enters the powerehead if its very weak get a bit of coathanger wire and have a wiggle around. Have a look at the thermostat as well and see if its jammed open.<br />Are any alarms going off when it bogs down ,as a rough guide, if its not overheating you should be able to put your hand on the top cylinder for about 5 to 10 seconds before it becoms uncomftable. If it runs for a couple of miles and bogs down , you leave it 5 mins and repeat the process , make sure the tank is venting.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suspect that it is overheating and that your problem is the water pump impeller. The water going to the telltale peehole or whatever you want to call it comes directly from the water pump and should flow whenever the motor is running regardless of temperature etc. First check that the peehole is not blocked by taking the hose from the engine and blowing through it and if necessary pushing some thin wire through it as my Kiwi mate suggests. If that is clear and you don't have a stream you have a faulty water pump. Shut the motor off and don't run it because you will cook it if you have not allready done so. Check your water pump and your overheat alarms. Now is a good time to look at a manual.

teenfix

Cadet

thanx everyone i alrdy have put a new water pump in cuz it was sitting for several years. i know that it is pumping because water is comeing out of the larger hole in the back. and the thermostat isnt stuck i know this because i took it out and lubricated it. and i cleaned out the hoses but i dont know if water is flowing threw the engine all the way. i need advise on cleaning out the inside part without taking it all apart. any help grately needed cuz i am only 14 years old thanxs a million :D

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drop the lower unit and attach a hose to the water pipe leading up to the head (you dont need to have the engine running). this might blast out any crud in the system till it streams. If you think you have salt/sand buildup or blocked passage ways, whilst running the hose remove the thermostat and cover, water should pour out under pressure , if it dribbles out there is a blockage, or more probably the water tube to the powerhead has either become disconnected or blocked. Again have probe around with a coat hanger.<br />Did you turn the propshaft clockwise when installing the housing on the pump. If you did it backwards you could have stuffed the impellor.

teenfix

Cadet

thanx rockhopper i just got done cleaning it out with a copper wire and it is shooting out water good i an about to take it out for a test drive i will update with results!!

teenfix

Cadet

i took it out yesterday and it ran great a lil rough idle but i fixed it. i have one more problem when i go from idle speed to wot it doesnt get pased 3500 rpm. unless i go stand in the front of the boat. should i put hydro fins on it would that help or do i have to get a differnt prop. plz help

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />What prop (diamater x pitch) do You use on Your DT55?<br />If it is Suzuki orginal black aluminium prop it is stamped on the prop like:<br /><br />V1300 (13 1/2 x13 diam x pitch), <br />V1500 (13 1/2 x15), <br />V1700 (13 1/2 x17), <br />V1900 (13 x19), <br />V2100 (13 x21)<br /><br />You probably have a V1300 or V1500 today?<br /><br />As a rule of thumb 1 inch change in pitch will change RPM about 200. So if You have to much pitch you should get lower pitch prop to get more RPM at WOT.<br /><br />You might try a pair of Smart Tabs. It will for sure help to let Your boat get up on plane easier. Hydro fins would probably be a good thing to try but Smart Tabs would be my first choice (possibly in combination with a prop with lower pitch than You have today). <br /><br />What boat (make and model) do You have? Weight?

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me get this right. You throttle up , engine gets to 3500 , climb on the bow , engine now gets to about 5500 and you climb back in ?? :eek:

teenfix

Cadet

i can rev it in netural fine but in gear i have to wlk to the front. i dont climb out of the boat i just walk to the front of the boat (staying on the deck) and ill sit there for a second then i walk back to the wheel and it stays running at 5000- 5500 rpm. it is a martin sport fin. i have reaserched them and cant find anything made by martin except yachts.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dont rev it too hard in neutral , not over 2000 rpm , they are not designed to run in that way. If it goes thermal runaway it gets very messy real fast.<br />It does sound like its overpropped but your getting the correct rpm once it gets there. Your throwing alot of weight forward when you move up the front. How heavy is the boat , include your average running gear and buddies. Whats the position of the Anti ventilation plate relative to the keel?

teenfix

Cadet

how do i find the weight? and what do u mean by "whats the position of the Anti ventilation plate relative to the keel?"

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Read the thread Topic: A.V plate is 4.5in below hull...help! in the outboard non-repair forum.

pmassey31545

Seaman

A lot of boats are listed at NADA web site(www.nada.com) for value purposes and they also list the weight on several as well. that is how I found out the weight on my boat. Just make sure you have the year, make, and model. And like rockhopper said, don't forget anything you might be adding to the boat that adds weight. Good luck...

pmassey31545

Seaman

Hey man!! Let us know something about your motor.

teenfix

Cadet

well my motor is now running fine(thanx every one)its a 85 dt55 that runs like a brand new motor all i need to do now is repaint the boat and ill be rdy for a fishing trip any one knoiw any good grouper spots around clearwater florida? another thing i am bout to get an old mercury thunderbolt 115hp is it worth rebuilding cuz i am getting it for free!! i might also be getting a 18 foot wellcraft open fisherman would that be a big enough motor for the boat or do i need more power