Suzuki WOT

cddetelich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 92 DT 115. Looked in the manual but cannot find what WOT RPM should be. I can make 4700-4800 RPM and motor does not seem to be under a load. I usually cruise at 3800-4000 RPM. Do these numbers seem reasonable?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki WOT

Hi,<br />I would guess it is at least 5500 RPM as max for WOT.<br />Actually I think the recommended range is 5250-5750 RPM on DT115 with carburators. So close to upper range is probably what You should aim at with WOT with 1-2 person onboard and 1/2 tank or similar average load.

norlinanc0777

Recruit

You are running low rpm's for this engine but as you said you normally run it at around 4000 so if your content with it why bother?Your engine will last as is.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always believed that the motor, boat and prop should be so matched that the recommended WOT range is achieved. Then the whole system is peforming as it should and is designed to. Please tell me if I am wrong.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

That engine needs to be able to achieve its max operating rpm with a normal load. You are overpropped. No one says you have to run it at max rpm, just that the prop should make it possible. Prop for about 5800 rpm at WOT and then drive it at whatever you are comfortable. Overpropping the motor will lugg the engine at all rpms and lugging the engine will overheat it and accelerate carbon build up and is not good for the life of the engine.