2003 150 Suzuki 2-stk problems

fishlakeman

Recruit
Hey all, newbee to the forum, first off I want to thank all who reply.<br /><br /><br />I purchases a 18 foot Lund Explorer with a 150 Suzuki 2-stroke this past april.<br /><br />The motor was brand new and I went through the break-in process and when I opened it up, it only got to 4000 rpm's It had a 21 pitch prop, which the dealer changed to a 19 and gave me 4,700 rpm's. <br /><br />Problem#1<br />This is a very light 18 foot aluminum boat, and after talking to owners of the same package, it sounds like i should be getting 60 mph. Right now I'm getting 44mph and only 4,700 rpm's. The marina I bought it from has adjusted the throttle control and replaced the plugs. They seem like they have no clue what to do. Would anyone have an idea as to why I'm not getting the rpm's I should?<br /><br />Problem #2<br />Being from MN, it was very cold the first 2 months of operation so I would let it warm up for at least 5 minutes before opening the throttle. After that idle time, when I'd open it up, it was really sluggish and put out a pretty good cloud of blue smoke. If I cleared the engine by reving it in neutral, it seemed to clear it out and then had a good hole shot. Still now when it's warm out, it loads up after idleing for a while. I brought it into the dealer and now it won't even idle without dying after a minute or so, then I'll turn the key and it starts right up. When the motor dies, it sputters/spits then coughs and dies. So it seems like it's not getting enough fuel, but that doesn't make sense seems it seems to be getting too much when it loads up when idling. I'm very confused and any helpful info would be appreciated.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2003 150 Suzuki 2-stk problems

Hi FLM , how well does it idle , in regards to problem 1 I'm wondering if you have a clyinder or two not working. It could all be fuel but do all the plugs look the same , good compression ?

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would take a look at the plugs... My 02 150 did that to me one time out fishing... Fouled plugs kept it from getting up on plane and getting to max wot.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

HMMM....I would bring the boat back to where you bought it and tell them you do not want it back until it's fixed.<br /><br />Now that I think about it maybe they did not put new plugs in it like they told you, they have been known to do things like that.<br /><br />The sooner you get it back in the better.

Tcrum5711

Seaman

I bought the same boat package April 2004. Probably from the same dealer. It acted the exact same way for the first couple of hours of use. Sluggish and the puff of blue smoke. I went through a couple of sets of plugs the first summer and this spring it has run a lot better. I think that the owners manual said it would burn double the amount of oil for the first 20 hours of use. I'd have to check it for sure but that rings a bell.<br />As for the top speed, I'm running a Hustler 21 pitch at 52 mph at 5200 rpm at WOT.

fishlakeman

Recruit

Thanks for the responses guys. I was kind of thinking it may be running on 5 cylinders also. Thanks so much for the info about your package Tcrum. That is very helpful info knowing that your getting 5,200 with the 21 in prop. I'm going to demand that they give my motor a compression check, ask to put in new plugs and have them show me the old ones, and to keep it in there till it's fixed. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Tcrum5711

Seaman

If you have the Raymarine locator, those other guys might be giving you the speed off their locator. Mine said 64 mph at wot, my speedometer was buried past 50 mph and my gps was saying 52. I tend to believe my gps. I put on a 19 pitch this past Saturday but I haven't had time to test it.

fishlakeman

Recruit

The guy I talked to that said he got 61 mph was with a 21 pitch stainless, just him in the boat with a 1/4 tank of fuel on a calm day. Other wise he's getting mid/upper 50's with full tank and equipment and himself. With 3 guys, full gear, and livewell, he gets 48mph. This was all measured with a GPS. Do you use that Raymarine that came with the boat? I took that thing off the 1st week I used it and bought a LMS 332 color. I do a lot of walleye fishing and it is really crucial for me to have a high quaility depth finder.<br /><br />Well, I called the marina and talked to the parts/service manager. I calmly explained everything and he knew about my package and told me that they didn't have the instruments to test the throttle positioning sensor and some other thing for my Suzuki. He said that the timing of the motor was way off also. What I didn't understand is why he didn't tell me this last time? They gave me back my motor saying it was fixed and charged me the 250$ for the check up! So now he ordered the equipment and said it will probably get in the shop in a week and a half or so and he'll give me a call when it gets in. He was polite and I was happy that he gave me a straight answer, but I fell kind of ticked that he gave me back the boat knowing that the timing was off and didn't let me know before that? Thats some poor customer service in my book. For the record, I didn't raise my voice at him or anything as much as I wanted too, lol, cause in my opinion, they're not going to want to help out a guy thats a jerk to them. I just can't wait for this to be over with . <br /><br />Question: Do you all think it is right for me to demand a refund for my 20 hr check up? I brought it in for the problems, and to do the 20 hr check up which under their definition is: a 30 point inspection making sure everything is running well including changing the lower unit oil, checking the TIMING, compression check, etc.<br /><br />Also, won't it be really bad for my motor running it with the timing off?

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I totally agree with you on if you raise hell that they are less likely to want to get you straight with your boat set up. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the DT150 EFI had variable timing that was computer controlled? I don't think it's a bad idea to ask for your money back... maybe tell them they need to re-do the check for nothing and prove to you that it was done.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

" What I didn't understand is why he didn't tell me this last time? " because it was in warranty and now its not ?<br />Did the last check up come with a tick sheet for items to go through.