1987 Yamaha 150 cranks slow

trev

Cadet
I have a 1987 yamaha 150 that will not turn over very fast.I now have removed the plugs and have tried to crank it over at first it cranks over fast like it should then it will slow down to the point where it does not turn over at all.I put a socket on the flywheel main nut and it turns over ok.I have even put on a new starter and it still is doing the same thing.Maybe the starter soliniod?<br />Thanks Guys

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Yamaha 150 cranks slow

have your batteries tested. take to the auto parts store for a load test. If they are more than 3 years old I bet they are toast. <br /><br />lingcod

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the battery is good how about the battery cable and the connections at both the engine and battery.<br /><br />If those are OK then it's the solenoid. Mine went bad last year. Not too terribly expensive.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would fully charge the batteries and then test or have them tested using a load tester by a battery supplier, Remember it is not possible to test a flat or partly discharged battery.<br />If you have a new starter and solenoid fitted I would then check and maybe remake tha connections from the battery to the starter.<br />Kind regards William Wright.

trev

Cadet

The batteries start this motors sister motor just fine these motors have appox 1400hrs on them.I bought both as a pair hoping to use one and part out the other.Maybe the one that won't run has a piston tighting up.The one that runs has between 103 and 108 compression.<br />Thanks