Used Boat question

duck750s

Recruit
I have a general question for you guys. I am looking for a used boat as a first boat. My budget allows me to get a slightly used 24 foot cruiser IE a Sea Ray or Chaparral like a 1999 or 2000, or I could get a older 1995 28 foot cruiser for around the same price. My price range is like 28 k, to 35 k..<br /><br />Any thoughts on what route to go... Is a 7 year old boat going to be more trouble than its worth.?<br /><br />Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Used Boat question

If maintained well, it should give many years of service. I would definitly recommend a Marine Surveyor to check the boat out! Also, for that kind of money, I would shop around for a New Boat. Good time of year to make a good deal!

duck750s

Recruit

Well for a new 24 foot Chaparral, four winns or sea ray cruiser you are looking at at least 48,000. What is the life expectancy of a marine I/O engine..??

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

duck750s,<br />Just my $.02: Both boat manufactures you mention make nice boats. I feel that a 1999-2000 used boat well maintained with less hours will give you better piece of mind the a 7 year old boat. If you can find one that is well maintained then you will have let the previous owner pay most of the depreciation (hope I spelled that correctly). I also recommend a survey and a wet test dive in choppy water with a boat of that size. I bet you will find that the Chaparral can take a beating better than the Searay. Both are heavy boats (my guess with trialer & gear about 7,500lbs) so what you use to tow should be a consideration. Good Luck

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Have to agree with above. While a well maintained boat can be just as good, at 7 years you're getting into that 'iffy' area, particularly if used in salt water as this size most likely would be. For a first boat, go with peace of mind and get a newer boat. PLUS, have a qualified surveyor check it out. Read the posts in this forum on guys who didn,t. Good luck.