Suzuki DF70 Making oil

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got back from my annual lake trout fishing trip. Did lots of trolling in very cold water and now the oil on the dipstick is up and slightly discolored. Had the same thing happen last year and changed the oil and all was good after. <br /><br />I was sure to take the boat for a good run before trolling to warm it up properly but it seems extending periods of trolling in ice cold water bring up this problem I never would otherwize see in the summer. Motor was running awesome but there must be something I could do to correct this from happening. Hotter plugs or thermostat? I'm open to suggestions.<br /><br />Anyone else experiencing this type of thing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Suzuki DF70 Making oil

Check out the Engine FAQs, Manitoba.<br /><br />Very good article on 4 strokes making oil.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

DanMcK

Seaman

manitoba1: Seems like You could use a hotter thermostat for the colder water. Not sure what year Your engine is but there are 3 maybe 4 optional thermostats available. Here is a link You could check it out. web page

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB:<br /><br />Great article on making oil in the Engine FAQ. Looks like It'll be necessary to open up the throttle more often when trolling in the cold water. The weather last week was cool and very rainy which probably aggravated the problem Might look into a slightly hotter thermostat but maybe running it faster, more often might do the trick. DanMck thanks for the link. All is appreciated<br /><br />Manitoba1