115 Yamaha 4 Stroke won't start

ps21

Cadet
Hello All.<br />I am new to boat ownership. I live in MA and bought a boat in FLA. Had it shipped up and it ran great the first couple of times out. Now I am having major difficulty getting it started. It's a 2004 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. It does not appear to be a fuel issue becuase once it starts it runs for hours without any issues. When I try to start it, it really seems like it wants to turn over but it cranks and cranks and never starts. I only have one battery for the boat. Do I need another battery or is there an electrical issue with this new engine?<br /><br />I should also mention I took this to an authorized Yamaha dealer. The put a booster pack on the battery (because it was very low from trying to start it) and it started on the first turn. Maybe this might help diagnose the problem?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 115 Yamaha 4 Stroke won't start

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Don't give it any throttle when trying to start it. These motors usually start very easily. The most common problem I find is the customer giving the motor throttle before it starts. Don't.

ps21

Cadet

Actually I haven't been gving it any throttle at all. Maybe that's the problem?

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />1. Press the fuelbulb until it is hard (if it does not get hard replace it with a Yamaha bulb that should last as long as the outboard will last, probably).<br />2. If You do not have a fuel/water separator I suggest You install one. It protect both the outboard and will give You less trouble if water should enter the tank (rather common).<br />A Racor or Yamaha (same thing really) separator will work fine.<br />3. If You suspect any fuel delivery problem You could buy a 2-3 gal external fueltank (Yamaha has a nice red one with fuel level indicator) and hook up to Your F115 and see if it starts easier.<br />4. I assume You (or the previous owner) has followed the Owners manual about first 10 hours break in procedure and also followed the maintenance schedule shown in the manual.<br />It is rather important to follow the break in procedure.<br />5. It is probably not spark plug problem but check the Owners manual that You use correct spark plugs and has correct gap and that the plugs are in good condition.<br /><br />Above is just some suggestions what might (or might not) correct the starting problem.<br />Also read the Owners manual Troubleshooting section and see if it wil give You some more things to try.<br /><br />I have a Yamaha F115 (2003) myself.<br />It has so far started on first turn of the key (after pressing the fuel bulb a few times, but often that is not neccessary at all in my case I have found out). Even after winterizing and first start in the season.<br />I use a Yamaha fuel/water separator with clear bowl so I can see easy if any water in the separator.<br /><br />You should not move anything on the controlbox (forward-neutral-back) lever before start. <br />Just read the Owners manual for correct starting procedure.<br /><br />I assume the starting battery is healty and battery connection tight.<br /><br /><br />Good luck!

jasell

Seaman

God check list Bo!<br /><br />PS 21, you say you are new to boating so I would assume that it is the fuel bulb that fails (its was differs from starting a car engine).<br /><br />I had the same problem you described (trying to start until the battery died), my problem was that the fuel bulb never got hard, I squezzzzed it for minutes until my lower arm cramped.<br /><br />It turned out that one of the check valves was faulty, I replaced the bulb as Bo suggested and it starts nicely on the first try (10 sec) ever since (its actualy my father in laws engine, yamaha 85hp 2-stroke with manual choke).

ps21

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply.<br />I do believe there is a water/fuel seperator on the back of the engine. Clear plastic with a red float? <br /><br />I got the engine and followed the break in procedure exactly as described in the owners manual. <br /><br />The battery is always fully charged before attempting to start it.<br /><br />I haven't tried a seperate tank but that is worth a try as well.

ps21

Cadet

jasell,<br />I have replaced the fuel bulb because the old one would not get hard. This one doesn't seem to be doing a great job either. <br /><br />What are the check valves?

mjbrueck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you've got it installed the right way. It may be backwards if it's not getting hard. The bulb should either have a flow arrow on it or marked with "inlet" "outlet". The check valve is internal to the fuel bulb.<br /><br />Make sure your kill switch (stop lanyard) is attached properly. That may explain why the dealer was able to easily start it when you couldn't get it to fire.

Kanadakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PS,<br /><br />Not sure if your is the same as mine as i have a 2003. but you are supposed to turn the key to the first on position, let it stay there for 5 seconds. This chokes the engine. Ten turn the key and start.<br /><br />Take a look in the manual and see if your procedure isn't the same.<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br /><br />KId

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />The fuel/water separator is not mounted on the outboard itself. It is usually mounted inside the boat, for example in some vented storage compartment near the transom (not in battery compartment!) or it could also be mounted outside little higher on the transom forward of the outboard.<br /><br />Get a Racor or Yamaha separator.<br />It is rather easy to install.<br /><br />Yamaha:<br /> http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/accessories/acsubcontaineritems/5/256/1093/8598/all/1.aspx <br /><br />Use a Standard or Deluxe (Deluxe also avaliable with clear bowl). 60 GPH separator will be fine for a F115.<br />You have to change the separator filter maybe every seasons (depends how much You use the outboard). The separators with clear bowl has the advantage You can easy by eye inspection see of any water is there and also drain if needed.<br /> <br />Racor:<br /><br /> http://www.parker.com/EAD/displayCa...109&catid=3426&catdesc=MARINE GASOLINE SERIES <br /><br />320R-RAC SERIES will be fine on a F115.<br /> http://www.parker.com/RACOR/PRODUCTTABLES/TABLE-MARINE-GAS01.JPG

ps21

Cadet

The kill switch is not the issue. That's usually the first thing I check. The new bulb is installed properly. I'm thinking a new fuel filter may help the gas flow situation when starting. <br /><br />Bo, I will look into getting a seperator. Thanks for the links.

Triton II

Commander

ps21, the clear cylinder with a red washer in it is a water indicator within the cowl of the motor, used to indicate you may need to attend to the fuel system. As the others have said a water separator is normally a spin on filter in line with the main fuel line and normally located near the stern of the boat.

ps21

Cadet

I thought I would update everyone who had suggestions. It turns out that every connection between the battery and the engine was loose. Also, the electrical system was grounded to a plastic piece rather than metal.All of this work was done at the the marina I purchased the boat from. I took the boat to an authorized Yamaha dealer here in MA and he said it was very poorly rigged. Should I try to recoup some of my costs from the marina or yamaha or both?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Yamaha probably won't help. They have no control of the talent dealerships hire to rig their boats ... which I regret to say is Poor at best in too many cases. You get what you pay for and few dealrships hire experienced riggers in favor of cheap inexperienced labor to keep boat costs down. :rolleyes:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep what willy says<br /> I spend have my time rerigging shoddy rigs. its amazing what some places turn loose.<br /> but when ya pay peanuts ya get monkeys. if it was a brand new pre-rig package you may have some recourse from the manufacturer. if not then good luck. and any electrical failures caused by improper rigging dont have to be covered by yamaha. however I have found that the yamaha warrenty dept will bend over backwards to assist. some of the things I have seen them cover have been amazing.