85 DT140 wont turn over

Torres535

Cadet
I went to the gulf coast this past weekend the engine ran fine until the last day. The water alarm started to make a vibrating sound and now it just wont turn over at all. I replace the impeller, water cooling sensor. Still nothing. I have to be looking near the rectifier and noticed a black melting substance. I removed the rectifier and the back of it looked like it was getting hot. It was was melted behind the recitifer. So, would that be the cause of my problem? Any suggestions would be apprecitated.

D

DJ

Re: 85 DT140 wont turn over

Can you turn it over by hand (gripping the flywheel)?<br /><br />If not, your overheat may be more serious than you thought.

Torres535

Cadet

i can turn the flywheel on top. just went and checked it. Any other suggestions?

aabfeh

Cadet

Pull the plugs and see if the starter will turn it over. If the starter won't turn it, go back to the flywheel and see if turns over freely by hand with absolutely no binding. If the motor seems good, check the starter. A hot rectifier will not affect starting, only charging of your battery.

Torres535

Cadet

I bypassed the starter relay and it turned over easy and the fly wheel turns with no problem. I still have a problem with the ignition switch usally you can push it in and it opens the flys open it doesnt even do that can it be my ignition switch?

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you hgave a melted rectifier then your wiring is shot / or something is droping a dead short cct.Check the entire wiring loom upto and including the switch. Anything could be burned out.