Cold starting on 1997 Yamaha 70hp?

Grem62483

Cadet
I just bought a 18 ft boat with a 70hp Yamaha for a great price. The guy I bought it from told me that it runs great but it is hard to start. Well I took it home and it started right up. So I took it out twice since then and both times it gave me trouble starting right when I put it the water. Once I get it started I can shut it off and fish for an hour and turn the key and she starts right up. Any suggestions on what I can do to solve this promblem?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cold starting on 1997 Yamaha 70hp?

Yamahas can be cold starters. Be sure you are pumping up the bulb and check to be sure the chokes are closing all of the way. They are adjustable.

surfmon

Recruit

I've got a pair of 1996, 2-Stroke 70 HP's... agree with Ray, it sounds like fuel priming for reaching the carbies --> Didn't know the chokes were adjustable. I set the idles to zero by backing out the clockwise screws, then synchronized all 3 carbys with one screw adjustment. :D

Grem62483

Cadet

I checked the choke and its closing. I know I am getting fuel because the spark plugs are wet. I just bought new plugs so I am going to try that out and see if that helps.