How difficult is it to change LU seals??

tprice

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 99 225 Suzuki and to make a long story short it is leaking lower unit oil through the prop. I changed the LU oil last weekend and ran the boat a couple of hours and it is still leaking and is a little milky which tells me I have bad seals.<br /><br />I had taken the boat to my mechanic a month ago for service work and at the time he felt it was just unburnt 2 stroke oil( I had wiped the oil off the skeg so you really could not see it). I did not disagree with him due to that made a lot of sense. Anyway I still have a leak in the LU. He (mechanic) is going to try his best and repair within next 10 days, I have a trip to Islamorada coming up.<br /><br />My question is can this be done by me and a couple of very mechanically inclined friends. I have the a repair manual and have even ordered the parts along with a new impeller(I have changed the impeller my self a couple of times and it was very simple). We have read the manual and it seems to have very good instructions for this type of reapir.<br /><br />I am not looking to save money I am just wanting to make sure I have everything ready to go by 6/10 to Islamorada.<br /><br />I have faith in the mechanic getting to it but you know how that goes this time of year.<br /><br />Thanks for any help folks.

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How difficult is it to change LU seals??

Maybe you could split the job with your mechanic. That is pull the lower unit and prop. Do any other prep that makes sense then prearrange to have the mechanic swap the seal. Then you pickup and finish re-assembly.

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

I have thought of that also but it depends on how much time he has.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Osprey's suggestion makes a lot of sense. Mechanics have no time this time of year but many will find the time to do it the way he suggested.