Winter Storage

gallma

Cadet
I plan to keep my boat outside (and out of the water) this winter. It will be in an apartment parking lot. How safe/unsafe is this? What precautions should I take? What do I need to look out for? What are some potential dangers?<br /><br />Also, it currently has a snap, canvas cover. Should I purchase a custom fit cover, or can I just put tarp over it?<br /><br />Thanks!!!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winter Storage

Couple of things come to mind: Get a hitch lock, remove the Prop, put some mothballs here and there to keep the Varmits out and a cover(Not Plastic) will let it breath better causing less Mold in the spring! Get some wheel covers to protect the tires from UV rays, I'm sure others will have more suggestions

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To be honest it doesn't sound to safe.<br /><br />Are you insured? Have you shopped around for indoor secured storage, preferably outside the city on a farm or something like that.<br /><br />I store mine at a farm about 40 miles outside the city. The barn has an alumimun roof and is well kept. And at $165 CDN. for 6 months it's a steal. That way you don't worry about the elements, bird droppings, mildew etc..Just throw on a custom travel tarp or regular tarp and forget about it for 6 months. Just make sure you're insured.

93evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the plug and tilt the trailer so that the nose is slightly higher than the rear so that if any water gets in it will drain out the back.I would also consider lifting the trailer and blocking it to take the weight off the tires.It would also create an additional deterrent to theft.Make sure that it is covered in a way that water and or snow(if you get any)is unable to build up.<br />Potenetial dangers-the obvious= vandalism or theft.Just make sure you are insured just in case.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Been wondering where you were. All of above are excellent suggestions. You may also want to check with local storage facilities [mini-warehouses], many of whom have facilities for boats and RV's. I would still lock as previously noted. One of the best investments you can make is a good marine fabric cover for your boat. The best one I've ever had is a Roadrunner Polyester Marine Fabric. As I recall, it wass about $130 at BOAT/US.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

By the way, Gallma, how did you bottom cleaning project turn out? Did you decide to get anti-fouling paint? I think I'd want my boat in the water up there in the Fall for the leaves, etc. on the Tennesse River. I went to Auburn and remember seeing the boats all rafted up at the UT football games. Do they still go to the games by boat?