Can't shift into forward or reverse

tsalus

Recruit
This is a 1986 150ETXJ couter-rotating unit.<br />First, shifting into reverse would grind but not engage. Then shifting forward would grind but not engage. Now, no grinding sound and unit will not engage forward or reverse. Shift cable and linkage appear normal in operation. Over the winter, I had the lower unit off to inspect the reverse problem and on the bench it shifted fine and no indication of significant wear. Any Ideas? Do you think the lower unit needs to be rebuilt/replaced? How can I tell where the problem is?

Yamahaha

Cadet
Re: Can't shift into forward or reverse

I would check the long, vertical shift rod. It could have rusted off somewhere along the shaft. It happened to me last year on a '91 200. The grinding was the result of the rod twisting just before it completly broke in two.

tsalus

Recruit
Re: Can't shift into forward or reverse

Thanks, I will. When I had the lower unit on the bench. I could move the shift rod on it, and it shifted into forward and reverse just fine. I can see the shift rod moving just below the power head but can't tell if it broke lower than that. Sounds like the only way to get to the whole rod is by removing the powerhead? Also, I should have said the grinding sound was the normal sound heard when trying to engage a gear but just got louder as opposed to going into gear.