Head temp variation between each bank

skiwake130

Cadet
Yamaha 130BETO, 2001 model<br />After reading all the posts re maintenance, I decided to tackle the easy items such as the grommet and thermostats.<br /><br />Removed the old grommet, cleaned the mount and fitted a new grommet. To ensure I didn't drop the grommet in the cavity, I bent a hook at the end of a piece of long wire and folded the wire over the bottom cover to hold it there whilst working. The grommet change / clean was very straight forward although a little difficult to work on in such a confined space.<br /><br />Then removed both thermostats and tested per the Yamaha manual. Both opened at the correct temp and 3mm gap. Re-installed with new gaskets.<br /><br />Idled the engine on the muffs and with hands on both thermostat covers, I noticed the right side cover (standing at the rear of the engine) was getting hot before the left side. I could keep my hand on the cover so assume the temp was around 50 - 60 C. After a minute or so, the left side started to reach a similar temp.<br /><br />The pee stream at idle was very strong so assume plenty of water pumping.<br /><br />Just confirming if this temp variation at start-up is normal or am I worrying about nothing?<br /><br /><br />Thanks for your replies<br /><br />David

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Head temp variation between each bank

Very much normal, water feeds the port side first (left at the rear of the motor).