Yamaha 2001 OX66 SS - Overheating

stupidfly

Cadet
I have had this outboard for 2 years with no trouble. It has 90 hours on it.<br /><br />Due to lifes complications it was neglected for about the last 9 months. It sat at my fathers house with no love. Prior to this I had taken it out and ran it for several hours with no problem.<br /><br />Last weekend my father decided to fire it up for me and run it a few minutes. He thought the front mounted flushing hose could be used to run the outboard. He ran it for about 10 minutes before the heat alarm went off. I came out and hooked ears to the foot with the same results.<br /><br />I have heard that this can ruin the impeller so I dropped the foot and replaced the impeller. No change. <br /><br />I am looking for any advice and direction. This outboard has never had any heating problems.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 2001 OX66 SS - Overheating

remove and clean the pocket for the pressure relief valve. replace the valve grommet. do you have any tell tale at all ?<br />was the pump housing melted at all? even a little bit ?

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's the Poppit valve, or possibly, the single feed water muffs. Sometimes they don't supply enough feed water.

stupidfly

Cadet

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br />do you have any tell tale at all ?<br />was the pump housing melted at all? even a little bit ?
Yes I did have tell tale, though it was weaker than normal. There was no melting at all. <br /><br />I will check the areas you mentioned, thanks.

stupidfly

Cadet

Originally posted by John from Madison CT:<br /> It's the Poppit valve, or possibly, the single feed water muffs. Sometimes they don't supply enough feed water.
I will check the poppit valve. I am suspect of it being my muffs as I have never had any problem with them in the past on this outboard.