225 Yamaha - Heads, Inner exhaust (with pic's)

mcfly99

Cadet
This is actually a follow up to a previous post where I was replacing head gaskets, thermostats, etc.. Before moving forward I wanted to get some advice on the following:<br />1) While cleaning the heads up last night I noticed (on one of them) on the very bottom, in between two bottom bolts where the water journal that flow around the head, you have a cavity between the two bolts. That cavity is corroded to the point it’s not as thick and not as “true” of a surface as the rest of the head, by the water journal. The corrosion is actually not on the water journal side but the side of the cavity between the two head bolts. A friend was over while I was working on this and he suggested marine tex to build it back up if I wanted to, as it looked to be on a side that is just an empty void. ??? <br />(2) I removed the inner exhaust cover so that I could inspect the rings, etc.. All looks good, pistons, cylinder walls and rings. I do have some minor corrosion on the inner exhaust cover along with carbon build up. The corrosion was on the same side that I thought was breached.. (Although I never lost compression, it was the gaskets that looked suspicious to me.) Should I just clean it up and put it back in, or do I replace it?<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />Fred

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 225 Yamaha - Heads, Inner exhaust (with pic's)

can ya take a good pic? and its possible if you will post the engine model # I may have a few heads in the scrap iron pile.

mcfly99

Cadet

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> can ya take a good pic? and its possible if you will post the engine model # I may have a few heads in the scrap iron pile.
Hi Rodbolt,<br />Thanks for the reply, I can take a picture tonight when I get home from work and post it. It's a 93 225 TXRR (pretty bad I know it off the top of my head).<br /><br />Thanks,<br />FJM

mcfly99

Cadet

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> can ya take a good pic? and its possible if you will post the engine model # I may have a few heads in the scrap iron pile.
Hi Rodbolt, <br />Decided I will keep my day job as my ability to take a "good" picture is questionable... <br /><br />Model is 225 TXRR<br />Here are the photos<br />
P1010126.jpg
<br />
P1010125.jpg
P1010124.jpg
<br /><br /> http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/...urrent=P1010124.jpg&slideshow=true&interval=4 <br /><br />Let me know the diagnosis!<br /><br />Thanks for all you help, it is appreciated.<br /><br />Fred

mcfly99

Cadet

One other thing I was going to ask.. I was going to add a water pressure gauge. Does it have to be a Yamaha or will any brand work. I was guessing that I would most likely have to deal with a metric size for the tubing?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Fred

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Any brand will work. The tubing will work. You may have to find the right fitting to go in the block.

mcfly99

Cadet

Originally posted by Ray Neudecker:<br /> Any brand will work. The tubing will work. You may have to find the right fitting to go in the block.
Thanks for the advice. I stopped at the local marine surplus and picked up a gauge and the tubing kit. The fitting won't work, it needs to be metric. Talked to the local Yamaha mechanic, he told me the fitting compression fitting and tubing would need to come from yamaha. Cost @ $26.00... Cheap insurance.<br /><br /><br />Any comment on the heads? Will Marine Tex work or do I need to replace?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

marine tex will work fine. just use a fine flat file on the surface when your done. it still has to be flat :) .<br /> aint saltwater great stuff :) <br /> the head must be level within .004 from end to end. use a straight edge like a small carpenters square and a feeler gauge.