1993 Yamaha 15 HP 2 stroke water flow problem

jhthompson

Recruit
My 1993 Yamaha 15 HP 2 stroke engine does not pass water through the "pisser" with muffs on and engine running. I found that the woodruff key was completely gone from the system when I removed the lower drive assy. The impeller looked fine although the fins were a litle curved, although it seemed to fit tightly in the pump cylinder. While loose I found the system was not clogged through the "pisser". When I put it back together, no output from the water pump. I tried both with muffs on and in a bucket. Any suggestions? TIA.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Yamaha 15 HP 2 stroke water flow problem

On my 8hp yammie I had a similar problem, even though the impeller looked ok. I replaced it. Make sure that the water level in the bucket is higher than where the water pump is in the leg.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hose from the motor to the telltale outlet can become blocked.Check it out by removing it and blowing through it or clearing it with a piece of thin wire. Some insects love to block it with mud after laying eggs in there.

jhthompson

Recruit

Thanks Grant S: I recently ordered a manual for the engine so I can purchase the impeller next. Does your yammy shoot out water from the pisser as soon as you start up,when the motor is cold?

jhthompson

Recruit

Thanks Adam1: I believe hat I did do that by running water up through the tube when the lower end was off.