Shift / throtle linkage adjustment

NBK

Recruit
Ref. 1988 Yamaha V6/150<br /><br />I changed the cables from the console to the motor but failed to mark the locations before I removed the old ones.<br /><br />Where can I find a procedure for setting/adjustment of the throtle/shift linkage?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift / throtle linkage adjustment

Place the lever on the control box in neutral. Disconnect the shift and throttle cables at the engine. Make sure the throttle linkage is against its stop and that the shift linkage is in neutral. Adjust the trunion (barrel) on the cable so the end of the cable fits onto the linkage and the barrel slips into its mount without moving anything. Secure the cable and repeat the procedure for the other cable.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you have just the slightest amount of tension on the throttle cable holding against the stop thats ok too, allows for "stretch"

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is the trunion (barrel)? Is that the black plastic piece the end of the cable screws into? Looks like it's tightend by just a nut? I didn't see much adjustability in that part of the linkage...

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes swist that where you adjust the cable for length. make sure to retighten the 8mm nut as cables will rotate with use. <br />with the control in neutral the cables are very different lengths, just match them up.<br />the engine gearshift slide post should be centered and the throttle all the way back on its stop. once connected, engine off, get someone to kick the prop for you and go thru the motions a few times. then recheck your adjustments.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Finally tried this - something is wrong. If I put the engine in real neutral, and then disconnect the linkage and then put the control box in 12 o'clock position, there isn't enough thread depth inside the trunion for as far as I need to screw in the cable (looks like neutral is not in the center of the slider). I switched the trunions between the throttle and the shifter since they were not the same size and I could get the shifter a little closer to where it wanted to go (and the throttle had plenty of thread on either side of the locknut, so it is not an issue here).<br /><br />It is somewhat better now, although not perfect - at least in the 12 o'clock position is is no longer in reverse.<br /><br />But I am concerned that I do have a shift shaft problem since this was right for the first 10 years of the engine's life.