Dropped Suzuki 4 stroke in salt water.....

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class
This guy dropped a Suzuki 4 hp 4 stroke into the saltwater by accident (fully submerged). He immediately recovered it but did not properly clean, re-oil, the motor down and now he says the piston is seized. He is selling it for $100. I was wondering if this motor is a complete goner or can it be rebuilt? I imagine there would be a little corrosion throughout, carbs, cranks, bearings, etc. <br /><br />Anyone know if it is economically possible to rebuild this motor?<br /><br />Boatster

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Dropped Suzuki 4 stroke in salt water.....

all electronics are shot, and all internals are now garbage/<br /><br />maybe if your REALLY bored

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah,<br /><br />I'd do it for fun but don't want to dump a bunch of $$$ on parts. I also need a small kicker. Why do you say the electronics are shot? Isn't the Powerpack usually sealed in a watertight plastic housing? What about things like bearings or the carbs. Can't they be cleaned out? I guess it really depends if the thing was sitting soaked with saltwater or if the saltwater dried out and the thing just sat. Hmmm......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

100 bucks its worth a try. do a complete tear down. yes the electronics are sealed and water RESISTANT not water proof. ya wont know if they are bad until ya try them. if nothing else you will end up with some good parts. depends on what ya find wrong mechanically. just remember a 4 stroke has a lot of shiney parts that rust inside.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

cost me over $200 to do a 2HP Suzuki that was seazed.

gr8rg8r

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Best case scenario: The electronics are fine but a lot of small parts need to be cleaned or replaced, the piston is seized but can be freed and you don't need to remove the head. You have a good working engine.<br /><br />Worst case scenario: The electronics are shot, there are too many small screws and parts that need replacing to make it worthwhile, the piston, rings, crank and cylinder all need replacing or honing. You assess the extent of damage, say forget it, and sell the lower unit, cowling, and other individual parts on Ebay for more than $100.