9.9 High Thrust ran with NO oil in Crankcase!

SamalotCj

Cadet
It was never refilled with oil at the end of the last NE boating season. It was started and let idle for about 6 seconds. What are the chances that the cylinders are damaged or the bearings are shot?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.9 High Thrust ran with NO oil in Crankcase!

slim. its not impossible but you mighta dodged a bullet shutting it down so quick.

SamalotCj

Cadet

Actually I can't claim responsibility for shutting it down. I had started it up to diagnose an idle problem, but it stalled out shortly after I started it. Under normal conditions I would assume that it seized or that damage from lack of oil caused it to shut down. I immediately checked the oil and realized there was none! I filled it up and tried to start it up again and it stalled shortly after.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I assume you are talking about a 4 stroke? It is important that you give us everything you know when you ask a question like that, Sam.<br /><br />There was probably enough oil coating the critical parts so that no damage was done in a 6 second idle.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SamalotCj

Cadet

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I assume you are talking about a 4 stroke? It is important that you give us everything you know when you ask a question like that, Sam.<br /><br />There was probably enough oil coating the critical parts so that no damage was done in a 6 second idle.<br /><br />Good luck. :)
I wish it were a 2 stroke. Then I wouldn't be worrying :)