98 suzuki 150 overheating

chadchessher

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1998 suzuki 150 electronic fuel enjected, and oil injected. It seems to do really well on high rpms and mid rpms. It also evens idles well, But as soon as I put it in gear about 15 minutes later the overheat buzzer sounds. Ive replaced impellar and even checked the thermostats, and they are opening and closing. the telltale water pressure is pretty good, but motors seems to idle little rough when in gear and water telltale shoots good and when motor gets little rough it slacks up. Its not to bad though it dosent stall. Somepeople told me maybe heat sensors, is there a way to check these. I dont think suzuki has a pressure control valve or popet valve do they. Thanks for the help hope to hear from you.

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 98 suzuki 150 overheating

Hi,<br />You can test the heat sensor with a ohm meter. The procedure is mentioned for example in the Seloc Suzuki manual I belive (can check later in the evening when I'm at home).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> usually the v6 suzuki used a combination t-stat/pressure valve. its one unit. somehere your loosing water pressure. either defective t-stats or an air leak at the pump a bad pump or improper assy. I cant remember if the later models used a float switch as well as a sensor or not. my advice is to buy the approprate manual to test before you need a piston or take it in for service.

chadchessher

Cadet

hello, I have heard you can check the heat sensors with a ohm meter, if you could send me that info on how to. Ive got a orginal suzuki manual on the way so I can check more procedures. On the bottom of starboard side on head theres a small housing like similar to thermostat is this the pressure valve. If so how can you check this to see if its working correctly. thanks guys

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the complete cooling system diagram is there, wait for your manual. mine is only dated to 96.

chadchessher

Cadet

ok, thanks fo the help. Hopelly the manual will be here today or tommorow. I took the boat over to a old marine place to have the impellar changed. Im not for sure if they knew what they was doing, i figured they would they been in bussiness for 30-40 years. This problems sounds to me its the waterpump. Maybe the impellar, Is it a hard task to drop the lower unit a check this myself with a manual. What else would cause a defective waterpump.

chadchessher

Cadet

Hi, I Found a small housing on the bottom of the head on the starboard side is this that pressure valve. If so how would you go about checking this to see if its working correctly. Like I say the motors does really well its just when I moving at idle speed giving it no gas. If I give it gas every once of a while its fine. thanks

bossee

Hi,<br />bass boy, where do I send the information about testing the heat sensor? Your e-mail is...?<br />/Bo

chadchessher

Cadet

chadchessher@yahoo.com also Bo, I seen that my spark plugs was a little faulty could this cause it to overheat, because it does run aliitle rough at mininum rpms in forward gear. I thought this might cause it to overheat. Because the telltale pees accordingly the motors response. If I barely hold my foot on the hot foot to make it idle good its fine. I mean barely toch the hot foot. This motor does have a idle screw adjustment.

bossee

Hi,<br />1. bass boy, I have e-mailed to You the information how to test the heat sensor.<br /><br />2. About the spark plugs:<br />"little faulty" - need more information how the spark plugs looked like. It the gap correct? You can find on internet pictures on sparkplugs and how they usually look like because of various reasons like running lean, running with to much oil, effect of water in fuel or in cumbustion chamber etc etc. (I do not have links to such pictures but I have seen it, just do some search on Google).<br /><br />I belive You should use NKG BPS8HS-10 with a spark plug gap of 0.35 - 0.39 inch(or 0.9 -1.0 mm) with Your DT 150 EFI.<br /><br />3. About idle:<br />What does the manual recommend as idle RPM on your Suzuki DT 150?<br />Do You use that RPM? I belive it is for DT 150 EFI 750-850 RPM at idle (in neutral).<br /><br /><br />4. If I remember correctly You can get a short overheat alarm as You put in the gear forward on some Suzuki (on my DT65 that happened sometimes and I considered it normal).<br /><br />5. Have You changed the idle screw adjustment yet? Result?

chadchessher

Cadet

hey bo, I put new spark plugs in. I bought a original manual (70dollars) it really dosent tell as much as I thought it would. But shot the temp of the motor on starboard side and port its only the starboard side getting hot, up to 183 f. Then buzzer goes off. The temp light flashes itime and then repeats it self. In the manual this means only starboard side sensor is getting hot. Which would be correct. Now the motor smoke pretty bad when idleing is ther a way to adjust the lean of the oil, its got to be to rich or could the choke be stuck when I push the choke in I dont here nothing engageing the choke. Or running the motor dosent idle up or nothing when keys pushed in. This might be normal for a electronic fuel injected. Also bo, the telltale takes probaly about 1 minute or more to shoot water out. It just started all of this, I notice the telltale shoots out exaust fumes when trying to shoot water out. Not a lot just little enough to see. But please let me now what you think Im going to check out the lower unit waterpump and tubes today. THANKS ALOT

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the impeller housing for warpage. If warped the pump will suck air.

chadchessher

Cadet

Hey guys, Inspected the lower unit today. First off the bat the long shaft had excess oil on it and I notice some in the waterpump on and around the impellar. Is theis normal, What causes this. The gasket under the metal plate does look like it was wet in spots were it could been leaking, so Im going to order new pump kit. Also the impellar that the shop put in had 5 flaps, well the old one they took out had 6. Does this matter or is it no proplem, it was the same size and fit right. One of the exhaust ports up in the motor had excess oil on it also. Somone please help, I might have to be going back to the old marine shop to get 225.00 back for changing a impellar unless one less flap on the impellar is no problem.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you say the new impeller has 5 flaps not six like the old, do you mean that one flap has gone missing? that is parted company? It could be blocking the works, unless the manufacturer has gone to a new design that I am not aware of.

fridays

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5 blades is the new design..actually pumps better

chadchessher

Cadet

Thanks guys my new water pump kit will be here today. Hey, wht about te excess oil all on shaft is this normal it runs down into the water pump in impellar. Thanks guys guess im going to put it back together and try it. If nothing works guess it will be time for suzuki to take a look. let me know buddys about the oil on shaft .

chadchessher

Cadet

Hey guys, I put that water pump kit together all new impellar metal plate, and gasket, and guess what it didn't overheat for about two fishing trips now it did it again. When I first crank the motor it shoot water out well through the telltale, but about 2-3 minutes later it does get a little harder while letting it warm up in neutral. But its still shoots a stream when idle around in gear, but it shoots acording to the response of the motor. I did idle the motor up a little I figured maybe thats what fixed it. I did notice good bit of water spits out of the exhaust at the back of motor when idleing is this normal. Its got me puzzled big time, Because it runs so good at all other speeds and never overheats. Also is there a way to know if the choke is stuck on. It is a efi motor, but I notice when I push the key in it doesn't help at all cranking it, or dosen't effect the motor when pushed in while running. It is only the starboard side overheating, Ive checked every thing in the manual. Just don't know where to go from here. Hope to hear back.

Stevenhj

Cadet

I solved my overheat problem at low RPMs on my Yamaha by replacing the pressure contol valve, spring, and grommett. Be very careful with the bolts, they like to ring off. I also blew out the water gallies with compressed air. There is a plug at the top of each head that you can remove where you can blow air back through the heads to the pressure regulator cavity. The small housing at the bottom of the starboard bank sounds like the pressure control valve. That's where it is on the Yamaha and it has a good size hose hooked to it. I hope this helps.<br /><br />SHJ

tprice

Seaman Apprentice

I had a similar problem with my 225 Suzie. It had never overheated until I got in some shallow water at the beach. It never ran hot while running at any speed other than idle. I changed the impeller and still after 15-30 minutes of idling(I troll umbrella rigs a lot) it would set the alarm off. Finally took it to my mechanic and he changed the thermostats and showed me how to clean the pressure valve. He told me that it only takes a little bit of grit in those things to make the run set the alarm off. <br /><br />That seemed to fix it, so I do not know whether it was the pressure valve of thermostats, I think it was the valve because when I took it off it had a good bit of "crud" in it and after I cleaned that it was fine.<br /><br />It has not run hot since and I trolled umbrellas the other day for 4-5 hours non stop.<br /><br />By the way that thing(p valve) is a bit** to get to and put back on. It helps to have a second set of hands also.<br /><br />Good luck and I hope that helps