water alarm stays red

Torres535

Cadet
I have a suzuki 140 when i first start it it stays red and the alarm doesnt come on but after a while it goes away. I recently had the impeller replaced. I didnt have this problem until i ran into a sand bar at the coast. I ran it fresh water and it stays on for a bit then goes off any help woill be helpful. thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: water alarm stays red

hello<br /> memory says it has a float switch in the head that indicates the presance or absence of water. what year dt140 is this ?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> according to the 86 DT 140 manual its normal. the warning lamp and buzzer may sound for up to 10 seconds after engine start. it has a float swich in the cyl head to detect water. however if you have the lamp you should have the buzzer. test the buzzer for operation. so if all else is correct it does take several seconds to fill the block and heads. if the pressure control valve is stuck open with sand it may take longer or become impossible to fill the block at low speeds. also the t-stat has a bleed hole that if clogged or installed with improper orientation may cause slow block filling.

Torres535

Cadet

well the buzzer use to alarm when i first started it. After i changed the impeller out and the spark plugs it doesnt do it any more. Now it stays red until i get up to higher speeds. What do you recommed doing?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

find the problem. test the buzzer to insure its working and not bad. at adle when first started it should take 10 seconds or less to fill the system. the light and buzzer during this periuod is normal.<br /> much more than that or if the light wont go off unless you increase RPM you have a problem.