lost key

I have lost my one and only ignition key. There is a three digit number on the ignition switch. Does the replacement key line up with 1, 2 or all three of the numbers on the ignition switch? Can the replacement key be purchased at any Yamaha dealer? What is the fastest way to get a replacement?<br />thanks!

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: lost key

Go down to your local Yamaha dealer. He should have a set of "duplicate" keys, or he can look up the numbers for you and order you one. I have two keys. I keep a spare in the glovebox of my truck for "emergencies".

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

The 3 diget number is the key code, There are a number of key codes. the dealers may have one. If not a locksmith can make the key by the number.

Thanks, I'll be sure to get two! I purchased the boat used and only got one key. I believe that some manufacturers only use two numbers - thanks for confirming that yamaha uses all three.

I talked to the dealer, and he claims that there are long keys, short keys etc and that the number on the ignition are only part of the puzzle. His suggestion is to replace the ignition switch (125 bux!!!)

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

good thing you came here first. the key numbers are very specific. long short or otherwise. you dont get long keys with the same number as short keys, a key number is good for only 1 key.

Chesapeake Explorer

Seaman Apprentice

See a locksmith they will be able to show you the blank.You will know if its long or short as such. Some blanks may be long or short.. Yes true , also the code numbers are very "generic" like "748" never the less a locksmith can pin down the blank needed. they can make a key by the "impression method " if needed cost should be less then 40 dollars if you bring them the switch. Keys are going to be more then some keys you may be familar with as they are "double sided" cut on both sides and more expensive. The lock cylinders are very basic. Yes I am a locksmith 30 years now in the trade,ALOA (Associated Locksmiths of America) certified master locksmith (CML)